AFV Club M35A1 Quad 50 Gun Truck Nancy kit review

By the way, here’s a couple of photos of Nancy showing the differences in the flower graphics on the side armor. Please note the absence of a red outline around the Nancy lettering in one photo. I’ve noticed some changes to the flower too where they embellished the image with some added leaves.

4 Likes

In the pictures in the Doyle book on gun trucks the weapons set up for PEACE MAKER looks more like what my pictures of MAFIA OPERATED would have been. Never got to get up close pics as I was just a newbie.I

2 Likes

Well, they were the same vehicle. I know there was a set of twin aircraft 60’s and a 50 cal that sometimes had a speed barrel on it. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. LOL

2 Likes

Not arguing at all, just from the pics it seems they changed the mounts around at some point Like I said, they didn’t allow my newbie ass around it much. We were all pretty protective of our rides.

2 Likes

I searched through all my pictures of Nancy and found this one that shows a bumper number 55 and what I believe may be a knock-out for the vertical stack. I also noticed the nose hasn’t been painted on the face on the turret graphics or flower on the side shields. Who knows, body parts like hoods, fenders, etc could be replaced easily. The fender could have been replaced at some point with a later version.

4 Likes

Yep, sometimes gun trucks changed from day to day. It could be weaponry, crew members, armor, paint schemes, etc. What you see one day may not be evident the next day.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard, James. I am glad that someone with your expertise concerning guntrucks is on Armorama. I am mainly a figure and diorama guy, but I do have some guntruck kits in the stash. Just from this topic alone I have learned a lot. I hope to learn a lot more as you show and explain more to the members here.

Cheers,
James

2 Likes

The pictures of Peacemaker in the Doyle book seem to show the gun setup that resembles the ones in my pictures. Wayne

2 Likes

Thank you, James O. The way I look at it is the stuff I’m posting may make it a little more difficult to build a particular gun truck but at least it’ll be more correct. I’m always open to questions.

2 Likes

The speed barrel I’m talking about is like this one on Iron Butterfly.

3 Likes

I am one of those who depicts actual vehicles when I have built them, and yeah, making sure you get the details right can cause the build to take longer and be a bit more complicated, but I feel it is worth it. When I built a model of one of my friend’s track, it took a little over a year, but everything he told me about was present. I backdated a M113A1 to a gas powered M113 as that is what 2d Battalion 47th Infantry (Mechanized) 9th Infantry Division had until they switched over to the diesel A1s in June and July 1968. His had the recoilless rifle mounted on it, so it wasn’t your typical track. The next one I built took about 6 months as all that crew had was a shield but no tub for the .50 and only one shield for a M60. I am currently working on a M577.

1 Like

Something back to my other question, would the other Quad trucks have the same armor or not?

2 Likes

As far as mounting the M20 trailer to the bed? I would say most of them did it the same way using what they refer to as the frame assembly. Where armor is concerned, I’ve seen so many variations, it would be difficult to pin down a common theme. Some had full side armor and some had none at all. Some had bat wings and some didn’t. Nancy had armor that was unique to that vehicle.

2 Likes

The nose armor configuration is what I meant. I have a Dragon Trailer an old Tamiya M16 gun, the Nancy set and the Dynamo trailer. Are they all the same nose armor?

1 Like

There were two types. The M45D/F turret shield and the M45C turret shield. The M45C turret armor with the large “nose” is not available. That’s why I added my HOW TO conversion to this thread. The ones you have are the M45D/F turret armor with the small “nose”. You would have to convert them. In Vietnam roughly about half of the quad 50’s had the M45D/F shields and half of them had the M45C shields. If you want to replicate a particular quad 50 used in Vietnam and you don’t want to convert your shield, I would choose one that had the smaller “nose”. I hope that answers your question.

1 Like

I appreciate your answer. Actually what I was wondering was if you knew what trucks might have had which style. Sorry to be so persistent. Just that you are the most accurate source I can think to ask.

1 Like

There were at least 200 or more quad 50’s used in Vietnam by the U.S., South Korea and even a few Vietnamese. I think the best thing for you to do is check the internet for quad 50’s used in Vietnam or invest in one of my books that have quad 50’s in it. Just looking at their pictures will tell you which style of turret shield they had.

1 Like

Thanks, as far as I know I have all your books.

1 Like

Great, you should be good to go then. There are plenty of quad 50’s to choose from. There’s even a list at the back that tells you what units they were in, name changes, bumper numbers, etc.

1 Like

Just checked my reference shelf and I have Squadron books by T.J. Kutta and David Doyle. Then I have the Gun Trucks book by Doyle. And finally I have The Hard Ride 1 and 2, plus Have Guns Will Travel by you. Am I missing any? Ha Ha

1 Like