Airfix 1/48 BAE Hawk - Indian Air Force - Suryakiran Marking

Hi Friends, I am starting my 4th Aircraft build. This will be Airfix RedArrows Box kit. Would like to keep this thread to log my progress and ask for help as required.

This kit came with two fuselage, One as shown in the box art with a snub nose and the other with Mk 132 style flat nose… This is the first time I have seen a kit with two sets of fuselage… Below shown is the Mk132 style …

Some of the major corrections are in the wings:

And some details are to be corrected or rectified…

Hope I will be able to complete it this time. Planning to build as a Indian Airforce Ariel Display team Suryakiran aircraft.

Surprisingly almost all the bits and pieces needed for the conversion is already available in the kit. But there is no mention of that in the instructions. Based on the search I did and checking various kits, I this Airfix’s Red Arrow’s kit No - A50031A seems to be the best fit for such conversion. Enen the Hobby Boss kit requires more cutting and welding than this…
Will keep updating this thread. Please share your experience with similar builds and any pointers for my build when you have some time. See you all. Keep safe and Have a wonderful day ahead.

3 Likes

This is going to be an interesting build.
The Hawks always been one of my favourites and it’s always good to see one. Especially when it’s in such a nice looking colour scheme.

1 Like

Managed to progress well. Already corrected the wing tips and the under carriage doors… Yet to do lots of sanding.

Fixing onto the wings…

The wing flap links need to be thinned down. Did not bother with the actual size/ scale.

Cockpit added with masking tape belts. Not adding Pilots though…

Will update soon…

1 Like

Managed to complete the build… This is the first time I printed my own decals. Except for the final finishing touches, I think this model is complete

i think. The Indian Airforce Suryakiran team will be upgrading to newer planes soon it seems. This particular plane is the last one delivered to Suryakiran team. This info was shared by a fried in our group. Happy to have completed this build after a very long time because of non-availability of decals…

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

4 Likes

Great looking Hawk. Impressed with your masking skills :smile:

That’s turned out really nice!
I’ll echo @litespeed 's comment, that’s a beautiful masking job. Congratulations on completing.

Thank You @litespeed I thought I overstocked Tamiya masking tapes… But now I know…:slight_smile: I still had few bleeds but chose not to correct it… For the Indian version of Hawk I think this particular Airfix version is the best bet. Almost every extra bits are included. If only there is a better review and slight rework on the instruction, this will capture a new market altogether… I still have one extra set of fuselage and entire Decal set intact…

Thank you @phantom_phanatic for the support and encouragements along the way …

1 Like