Airfix 54mm Collectors Series figures

What is the word on these figures? Other then being close to 50 yrs old, is there any value in these kits? I have box to inventory and curious if it’s worth the effort.

Here is one in the box.

4 Likes

i vaguely remember these as a kid, i think they did a Desert Rats set from world war 2 but i gave no idea if there is any profit to be made selling them.

2 Likes

I made several of them, French Cuirassier (X 2), Coldstream Guard, Black Watch, Scots Grey, 10th Hussar and Polish Lancer, all from the Napoleonic era. These are not the “Multipose” figures mentioned above; they were all WW2 subjects. The AWI British Grenadier was a latecomer. I think there was a Continental Line Infantryman also and a figure of George Washington. For the time the detail was pretty good. All belts had to be cut from a sheet of thin plastic which was a bit of a trial. They were a cheap option to Historex, the market leaders at the time. The intention was that they would be as good as the 54mm metal figures from manufacturers such as Tradition/Norman Newton, Imrie-Risley(?) etc., but obviously a lot cheaper. As for value, I really couldn’t say, but I don’t think it would be high. Depends on how many you have. Best advice is look on ebay and see what they are going for.
Personally, if it’s your sort of thing I’d make them up. They do look quite good when they’re done well. There was a series in Military Modelling (or it may have been Airfix Magazine, I forget) where Sid Horton built a diorama of the Charge of the Light Brigade converting the Hussar figures. He went through each conversion, one a month for ages. It was stunning work, the sort you just scarcely see any more. The cheapness of the figures was what persuaded him to undertake the project.

2 Likes

Google says Airfix Magazine from 72-74. They do look interesting and might give one a go.

Thanks for help.

1 Like

You recall correctly. I believe the last three releases were generic English Civil War figures which could be either Royalist or Parliamentarian; a Pikeman, a Musketeer and a Cavalryman. I can’t recall anything subsequently, but I seem to recall a Bengal Lancer at some point, he and the French Old Guard were scaled up to 1:12th scale but without any refinement in the detail…

Regards,

M

2 Likes

I did the French Line Infantryman and the French Foreign Legionnaire when I was about 11. I recall getting a bit stressed out over the fit of the Legionnaire’s coat fold backs, the big gap at the fold. I think I had similar problems with the way the saddle of the Scots Grey connected with the horse’s back. So fairly typical 1970s Airfix fit I guess. All fixable with adult modelling skills and proper materials. The detail and proportions are quite OK though.

1 Like

As I remember, I had most of the kits, but my favorite was the Bengal Lancer - probably because of the bright uniform and neat turban! I would like to give some of these another go as I think (or hope) that I am a bit better than I was 50-odd years ago, but modern prices plus high shipping rates actually make them as expensive as some better resin kits! LHS prices of 50 yrs ago = between $5 - $10 CAN.
:grinning: :canada:

2 Likes

Every now and then airfix re-pop a few of these. But they are always the same 8 kits (4 infantry and four cavalry Napoleonic). I do wish they’d re-release some of the others.

1 Like

I’ve got a few in the stash, both mounted and foot soldier types, all from the Napoleonic Wars. I started the Scots Grey build, but haven’t gotten around to finishing him yet. Yeah they’re a bit old, but still can be fun.
I’d love to find the American Revolutionary War figures. I built the Continental Soldier as a kid back in during the Bicentennial. I’d love to try building that one again now that I can do a decent job on figures.

1 Like

I have a few of these,

Send me a PM if interested.

So far I found the following:
British Grenadier 1776
British 95th Rifleman 1815
British Coldstream 1815
French Line Man 1815
French Grenadier
42nd Highlander (Black Watch) 1815

Historex Grenadier de la Garde on foot

There is a few mounted and some others but I think they are all more of the same above.

2 Likes

I cannot control shipping but send me a PM if interested in any of the ones posted above.

They all make good subjects! Still good value, not too dear usually.

Cheers

1 Like

The mounted kits are:
French Cuirassier 1815
Polish Lancer 1815
British Dragoon (Scot Greys) 1815

Artmi French Infantry 1805 and a started Prairial 42nd Highlander Waterloo 1815

I found this list
Airfix Classics 54mm
best regards
John W.

2 Likes

I really wish Airfix would consider reissuing a few of these. They were all way before my day, although I do remember some my dad built and painted at my grandparents house. Don’t know what ever happened to them.
They re-released a couple of the mounted Napoleonic figures in the early 2000’s. I picked up the Scots Grey, but never the others. It was fun, but I think I could probably do a better job now.
Of course I made sure to grab the WW2 multi-pose sets when they made a reappearance.

1 Like

Made a trip to my parents this afternoon and I found him! I just hope all the parts are there.

I could’ve sworn I painted him, but besides from a base coat on the horse not a bit.

1 Like

I have that same Scots Grey at about the same point of building… :wink:

2 Likes

I hope to try my hand in building one of these this summer.

1 Like

It’s a good looking figure. Lot of action in the pose of the horse and rider.
I’m going to check all the parts tomorrow and put him in the pending pile. It would be good to see him finished and he’ll make a colourful addition to the collection.
I just don’t know how the thin plastic sheet webbing is going to work out!

2 Likes

Replace that with some lead foil or similar material.

2 Likes