AJM 1/350 Scott Class Leader HMS Stuart

After several planes I felt like doing a ship again.

The Admiralty type leaders were designed at the end of WW I and are a slightly bigger version of the V&W destroyers which were the prototypes of most of the british destroyers up o the Tribal class. The leaders should lead a flotilla of destroyers into battle and had more space for the staff of Captain (D) and better communication facilities. Many had one more gun, too.

HMS Stuart was transferred to the Australia in the 1930s and fought in WW II in the Mediterranean in the famous ‘Scrap Iron Flotilla’ together witn HMAS Vendetta and the other Australian V&W’s. Later she was converted to a fast transport and survived the war.

I got the resin kit for a good price from ebay and thought it would be a good companion for my HMS Cossack.

The hull is split in 2 parts horizontally with large casting stubs. The underwater part is longer and a bit wider than the upper part and has some faults

After sanding of 5 mm of casting stub (real fun :roll_eyes:) and trying to de-warp the upper hull there was still a big gap at the bow.


I glued the hull parts with 2-component glue and fixed it additionally with wood screws.
After endless further sanding and puttying and mounting on a pedestal it finally looks like a destroyer hull.

I really like the sharp bow of a real destroyer.

More to come soon




Your off to a great start…will follow with interest.
By the way what are you using to hold the ship up.

@Joe, Thank you.

My pedestals for the resin kits are actually strips of oak from furniture packing. I am happy that they not used cardboard. :slight_smile: The stanchions are small metal pins holding the shelves of an Ikea’s Ivar. Just drilling 4 holes, glue and finish (its sometimes a bit difficult to get the pins straight). If the model is bigger use a bigger baseplate. For a styrene model I would probably use something with a screw.



Wow, that was quite some work necessary on the hull… Great start, last two pictures look fantastic after that mess with the gap and sanding effort!

I’m in and following with interest, very nice model and topic!


@ Jan: she is still not perfect, finding more blemishes and pinholes, but nothing which cannot be fixed with some sandpaper and more time. What I not so much like is the casting of the deck. It cannot be sanded without removing all the fine details. I hope, the unevenness disappears under the paint and all the small details



Small update:
Hull painted in 507c. HMS Stuart was in her early life most of the time in the mediterranean. This is how I want to show her.

The color ist the WW 1 type 507c, without any blue in it. I experimented with lightening of neutral grey to find a suitable shade. As usual it looks totally different dependig on the light.

Next update will take a while. I just discovered that the surface of some of the superstructure parts shows some kind of machining marks in addition the unevenness like in my 2nd picture. Need to figure out how to fix this.




Looks really good…keep it up!..too bad about
the machining marks but I am sure you will find
a solution.