AK Xtreme Metal

I have several shades of AK Xtreme Metal paint and I simply cannot get this stuff to work through my airbrush. Either I’m not using enough air pressure, in which case it sort of dribbles out all over, or I use too much, and then it blows all over the place. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Michael :israel: :confounded:

1 Like

Ouch. I’ll have to wait to hear what others say as my experience with them has been that they are effortless…

I would say they need a really good shaking but I’m sure you know that already.

1 Like

I do make an effort to make sure they’re well mixed, but they’re still so darned thin…

Michael :israel: :confounded:

2 Likes

My only suggestion is maybe a larger needle?

1 Like

Phil,

How do you use them? At what air pressure? And do you put down a base primer first?

Michael

1 Like

Hi Michael,
I only gave a single try once so I can’t tell you if it was just a matter of luck.
I used a bit of nitro thinner and pressure around 1 atm (some 14-15 psi). I used Gunze primer for metals though I don’t know if it makes the difference or not, just my habit.
PS nitro thinner smells bad and not all people like it. I use a mask…

1 Like

Someone mentioned nozzle size - I use the entry level Iwata for almost everything with a .5 nozzle. Pressure usually 15-18 (actually don’t take that for truth - I’ll get some out and spray with it tonight and see what I use - my memory isn’t what it used to be). And I’ll see if how it sprays through my smaller nozzle airbrush while I’m at it.

And I usually put these on a black base. I’ve been using Tamiya lacquer paint for base coating lately so I know I’ve used it on top of that.

1 Like

Thanks, guys.

Michael

1 Like

I have used them a couple of times.

Primed the model with Ultimate Primer then sprayed their own black gloss primer.

I used my 0.5 nozzle 15-20 psi pressure. Shake very well before using them, do not use any thinner, straight from the bottle.

Without any kind of varnish over them:

Black oil wash, very light

With matt varnish over the paint:

3 Likes

What he said :-).

I used the Dark Aluminum.
I ran it through my .5 airbrush at 15psi and turned it down a little and it sprayed fine. Still effortless.
I ran it through my .3 airbrush at 15psi and it sprayed fine through that also.

I remembered when I picked up the bottle that I shake it until the layer of sediment on the bottom is gone. That takes about 1 minute just shaking by hand.

I tried their black base and I don’t know why but I stopped using it. I have their thinner for cleaning the airbrush between colors (lacquer might work fine, but I’m not sure as I think this paint is an enamel).

I have been putting it on top of Tamiya lacquer LP-1 which I use as a primer/base coat. I’ve been using Tamiya lacquer paints as a base coat without a primer for awhile.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I used it again today, Stainless Steel with and without the black base. .3 nozzle at about 15-18 psi. Worked fine. I guess the modelling gods smiled on me. Thanks for all the help, and I’ll work carefully next time!

Michael :israel: :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes