Ammo Acrylic Filters | Armorama™

AMMO's new acrylic filters are designed to be applied directly to the model. This new range allows you to add colour variation to your miniatures, harmonize various camouflage colours, or distinguish areas with a different tone.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/ammo-acrylic-filters

I am curious how these work. Most of the acrylic products that have water a solvent have serious issues with surface tension, and only work on absolutely matte (flat) surface well. I will have to give them a try. If they work well, I am all for removing more solvent-based products from my paint rack.

Vallejo has had acrylic washes for a long time, no problem with its flow.

I found that they actually do flow very differently (one using a polar molecule as a solvent- water- , the other using apolar solvents). Unless it is an absolutely gloss surface, acrylic washes do not spread as well as a solvent-based wash, and you will see tidemarks as they dry. But a wash is a different thing, anyhow. A filter needs to cover the surface evenly; as wash does not.

Water has a very high surface tension due to its polar nature, which makes even spread very difficult on surfaces unless they are absolutely flat. Mineral spirits, acetone, other organic solvents have a very low surface tension -hence they spread much better, they do not “bead” (form droplets), etc.
I did not say it was impossible to have a good acrylic filter, I said I was an interesting idea that I would like to see at work, because technically it is not a simple thing to do.

Nothing to see here