AMT 1964 Pontiac LeMans Convertible

Hello all!

I haven’t been spending much time on the site lately, so I suppose I should give an update.

I put the '59 Desoto on the back burner for the time being.
I just wasn’t feeling it.

So instead I decided to continue with my stable of '64 Pontiacs and go to work on this old derelict '64 Lemans convertible.
I’ll be finishing this in a full detail style, much like my last '64 Bonneville project, with plenty of parts swapping and scratch building.

Here’s what I’m starting with.
The chrome parts were re-plated some years back.
The color will be correct 1964 Pontiac “Singapore Gold” from Scale Finishes.

Steve

3 Likes

That Singapore Gold looks right as rain, very nice. Look forward to following the build.

One question, why is the engine orange?

Good question! :wink:

These photos are just the raw parts as I got them.

I won’t even be using that engine.

I’ll be using mostly the engine from the Revell 1966 GTO kit.

Steve

2 Likes

My first thought was that as with my previous '64 Bonneville project, I wanted a removable convertible up-top for this model, but outside of the less than stellar Polar lights '64 GTO top, there’s really no presentable up-top available for a '64/'65 GM A-body, so I decided that I’d try my hand at creating one.

The AMT 1965 GTO separate hard top seemed like a good blank slate to begin with, as it has the right overall dimensions.

A considerable amount of modification went into this top, but I won’t bore you with details.

Hopefully the photos will tell the story adequately.

Steve

6 Likes

The top looks fantastic!

1 Like

Great job Steve, looks factory to me! Interior support frame came up nicely as well.

Quick question, what did you use for the lengthwise strips?

Cheers, D

Basically, it’s just paint.

I masked the sides of the top and then sprayed a couple of coats down the center, then a little more primer and then unmasked.

Steve

1 Like

Very cool, using the thickness of the primer/paint as a feature. Another one for the memory bank, thanks mate!

Cheers, D

The top is basically done, except for a few minor detail touches.

Not being completely certain what I was going to end up with, I’m quite happy with the results!

Steve

3 Likes

The finished soft top is extraordinary! The subtly achieved with the fabric is amazing.

cheers
Michael

1 Like