AMX-13/M-24 Chaffee

It is probably the best for the French armor. It gives basic information about each and every vehicle which was in service with the French army and a lot of pictures are period pictures.
Unfortunately for foreign users it is in French language only.

Olivier

That’s no problem, the pictures alone look great

Olivier, do you know if the AMX-13 with the Chaffee turrets were painted in US OD green or the French color? And what was their official designation?

In the black and white photo I used for reference it definitely shows the turret in a different shade of green so that’s why I painted my model in the above pics.

You were right , best value

Here is the box top inside and outside

1 Like

Typical boxing from Best Value Models.
Concerning the colors I would say the same French green. The different shades could be linked to the fading of the old paint on the turret while the chassis were newer.
I’ll try to get you a more solid answer.

Olivier

Thank you Olivier. Some of the color pictures look like dark olive drab, very interesting pictures.

Right. I am surprised by this dark color. Maybe this is due to the way the colors were rendered by the films in those days or it is simply because the US vehicles given to France remained in their original paint.

Olivier

I’d like to start the AMX-13 with Chaffee turret but have other projects going right now so it might be a while before I get to it.

Best Value seem to be the ones who do kitbashes/conversions of other manufacturers’ parts for high prices like this.

Yes and this is the first time I’ve ever seen them. As I said in my initial post, the kit cost $50 at the store I went to and I thought it was way too much for this kit but I was very interested in it and it’s the only game in town so to speak ( that I’m aware of).

Best Value Model is a brand of Azimut. They used to put in the box an old kit and some resin bits to make a conversion. That’s what I used for my Canadian AVGP Husky. I don’t remember such a high price though. Having bought it in the shop I didn’t have to pay for overseas shipping.

Olivier

You got lucky or not, finding that BV kit. Myself I would have pieced it together with better detailed kits

Yeah I guess I could have gotten the more recent (and accurate) Chaffee and AMX-13 kits to make the conversion; it would have cost more for two kits obviously but I would have had two conversions.
But at the time, I didn’t know that prototype existed. As soon as I saw it in the shop I grabbed it. Oh well…