Andy's Hobbies new 1/16 M113 Test build and sprues Video

my first post here people - i am and ex M113 Crewman and Commander form New Zealand and spent 12 1/2 years in them and back after 20 years helping and driving with one on loan locally from our national museum.
a first look at the kit in a bit more detail and the sprues for the test run. as an ex M113 crewman and commander i see a lot of good things and only a few little bits they got wrong. they did correct some things i had fed through to them though earlier.
some very nice details like combat locks and even details for inside the side sponson’s with barrel holder next to driver etc.
tail lights still slightly wrong and looks like they have heater and air pipe but no ventilation distribution air box that goes across the floor (although could make one easily)
looks like they corrected the track detail a little to be correct for the T130 link as earlier they had details from both T130 and T130E1 mixed.
inner guard liners included (well done) and even detailed torsion bar holders inside.
i would say floor plates will have checker pattern on as he did say this was more of a test for fit rather than finished detail. looked like they have bilge pump pipes included.
SO BIG QUESTION HERE - is who is going to do a powerpack and engine bay kit for it. if done right it should be the parts able to drop into the floor frame detail so it can be taken in and out (and dont forget the bilge pumps and fixed fire nozzle please LOL) and all the steering system.

6 Likes

My guess is SOL, my front runner.

1 Like

Welcome NZ Tankie, good to have you along for the ride and the experience you bring. The M113 in 1/16 could be an entire industry in itself, and an engine bay would be a good start. Pleased to hear that on initial inspection, the kit stands up as I expect this to be very popular as a modelling subject in this scale.

Kylie
Whangarei

3 Likes

cheers fellow Kiwi, if anyone ever want pictures of anything for the M113 i will either have it or can take and i have OP’s and Maintenance manuals also. the one we have here is a tribute to the carrier of the first NZ officer to go to Vietnam in an Armoured Role attached to 3 Troop B Sqn 3 CAV RAAC. last year we had his driver come over to NZ from Aussie and gave him his first drive since 69 and i drove him in the Anzac Day parade in Hastings.

that was recreating this picture with the son of the commander on the turret

on parade

3 Likes

Hmmmmm, now who wants gas or Detroit diesel engines? It would be nice to see the lateral brake handles and linkages for once in any model, other than scratchbuilt.

1 Like

it looks like it does have them in more detail including the brake locking ratchet plate in between them and pivot steers also. look around 14:42 for the sprue that has them.

1 Like

When 1/16th began growing in popularity this was one kit I wished for but never imagined I would see. So I’m super excited about this release from Andy’s and can just imagine the wealth of add ons and options that can be done. The after market guys must be jumping up and down too.

Keith

2 Likes

Mark, it is nice to have you here. Always wonderful to have folks that can share personal experience and information about military vehicles they were part off.

If I may suggest, since you so kindly mentioned to share your photos and information. There is a reference section in this forum and you are welcome to show your M113 in detail. I’d love to see them. TIA

2 Likes

i will do something up to share. another thing i have done some may be interested in is a guide i have written as i have done a conversion of the Trumpeter LAVIII into the New Zealand NZLAVIII that at present is over 12,600 words and 400 odd pictures. also shows what is wrong with the kit even for the Canadian version. i still have not completely finished it after 4 years but part of that was loosing my wife and have lost my mojo for quite a while is almost there. i take it that it would be OK to share a link to my Dropbox or Google Drive to share to anyone wanting to download it?
this is a shot of the kit

5 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

3 Likes