Antenna?

Has anyone ever used Fiberoptic lights for antenna’s. If so what size… Thanks

2 Likes

Nope. But I’ve used thin carbon fiber rod with great success. It’s not tapered, but it’s virutslly indestructible.

1 Like

K & S Brass Rods, been using them for years, cheap and plenty of antennas per package

3 Likes

what gage or size…I said the Fiberoptic because I thought I heard someone before say they used it and very flexible realistic looking

1 Like

I don’t know the size - it just looks right. I bought it at Tammie’s Hobbies in Beaverton, OR. It’s the only shop I’ve been to that actually had it in stock. I’m sure you can get it online.

1 Like

You guys are gonna laugh, but back in the 2000s, I often used cat whiskers for AFV antennas. Good ones are straight, flexible like carbon fiber, taper, and nearly indestructible. The best ones came from my brother’s cat. He would give me whatever whiskers the cat naturally shed. Eventually, the cat passed away and I gave the remaining whiskers back to my brother.

At some point, I purchased some beautiful, tapering, turned brass antennas and US antenna bases from somewhere. Packaging is long gone.

Stretched sprue works quite well. With some practice, just about any antenna profile can be manufactured. Try not to burn down the house.

Piano wire is really good for perfectly straight antennas. It is significantly stronger than brass and comes in very petite diameters.

The nice thing about flexible antenna materials is that they survive hand bumps really well. Piano wire likes to stab me.

1 Like

I use carbon fibre rod for aerials. There are a couple of aftermarket guys who offer them (Accurate Armour for example), but it’s a lot cheaper to buy the same material from a local distributor in 1 metre lengths. You can also get them in various gauges - I generally use 0.28mm.

Look for poltruded carbon fibre rod. The link below is for a distributor in the UK, but it must be possible to get the same stuff elsewhere.

1 Like

I have used Tichy Train wire.

1 Like

Because I work in small scale (1/72 and 1/76), I use the bristles from decorator’s paint brushes.
Initially I used lengths of 5 amp fuse wire, but found that these were easily bent if I accidentally
touched them when handling the model. Brush bristles have the advantage of being tapered,
and return to their position after being disturbed.

Paul

3 Likes

I also use carbon fiber rod, either .010 or .030. I got my club members together and ordered from here -

But just Googling it will get you plenty of places that will sell you just a few.

1 Like

I am a huge fan of guitar strings. Cheap and flexible enough not to be damaged by hand bumps and similar.

2 Likes

I have some metal aerials, if anyone is interested? I bought a bunch of them a while back.

1 Like

I’m not laughing. Fifteenth post in the thread.

Holy Cow, man! I first posted that in 1996! Anyone remember rec.models.scale? Back when the internet was young? Can you believe people still post there?
Robbin, are you still on there?

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.models.scale/c/gnn8UPbJgh0/m/ViS45cIyRzcJ

Apparently not as mean spirited as my post in 2006:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.models.scale/c/zUGT488Mlts/m/zJyPrugGzUoJ

Thank God I’m not one of these silly cats. I might have to bite his face off if he tried that with me.

1 Like

I use Evergreen 0.025 styrene rod. I cut them to length (2.75" for modern US antenna) and slightly mushroom the top end w/a flame to replicate the antenna ball. It is also easy to bend to make a tied-down antenna.

4 Likes

That looks like a cool site, but they are shutting it down.
Ken

1 Like

1/35 scale? Yes please.

1 Like

1\35 scale? Yes please!

1 Like

Sounds simple for new builds. My problem is that none of my fleet have them and I’d like to retrofit them all.

2 Likes

Adding them to Djiti’s resin antenna matching units and you will be set. You just have to scratch a base that attaches to your vehicle…

3 Likes

These are bases right? It’s the other end of the antenna Im trying to correct.

I have bases, some a/m brass antennas and have made a few antennas from sprue (minus the end cap you described)

It’s producing and retrofitting the end caps I’m struggling with.

1 Like