Artillery / Howitzer Silencer in 1/35

It may be an April Fools, but to get those renders somebody had to actually draw it up in CAD! So there’s a possibility yet that it could turn from vaporware to reality…

1 Like

Robin;
look at the barrel closely on the towed 155 howitzer. You’ll see a dark line on the barrel. That’s how far the barrel traveled in recoil on the previous shot. It’s a charge one green bag shot. Not a lot of blast without the contraption, and the round actually travels pretty slow (you can watch it). Had that been a charge three white bag, there would have been about thirty inches of recoil in the tube. A charge three green bag would be around twenty four inches inches.

Guess it works well if you have very little recoil. That M109 has 24" or maybe 30" of recoil. Tanks have roughly 24" of recoil, so all you need to do is place the muzzle inside about three feet to contain the blast. I have well over ten thousand rounds down the tube of a 155 towed howitzer, and only trained with a charge one thru three green bag in the states (about forty shots). Very poor training for the real world combat. With 105’s I probably did wo hundred shots counting the ones we shot for the OCS guys. Yet remember little about shooting with that howitzer. The M110; I probably did forty rounds, and the M107 was about 75 rounds. The blast from the M110 was mild, but we only shot low yield charges. The M107’s was pretty much zone three after the tenth round. Blast was serious! The eight inch and 175 gun both have about 60 inches of recoil. The blast from a 175 gun would probably blow that device apart. In real world combat, the 155 howitzer shoots a lot (mostly) of charge sevens and super charge eights. Never shot the super charge eight, as it was used for the atomic warhead at the time. If your doing charge one thru three; you might be in trouble, or at least located on your neighbors door step.
gary

1 Like

reminds me of the duck they kept in Ahn Ke. verytime you were close to it, you had to salute it! Tony Herbert got tired of this and killed then ate it
gary

1 Like