Assemble in 150 (?) hours! SU-85 mod. 1943 early production. MiniArt 35178

Planned update.

Did you only add glue and putty to the photo? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Continued to work with fuel tanks.
Preparing fuel tanks for putty.
Tried to “make” a welded seam. It seems to me that it came out rude. I’ll look at photos of real fuel tanks. If anything, I’ll fix it.

2 Likes

Yes. This is what I will be using for the next hour of work. :blush:

The situation with fuel tanks is as follows. When viewing photos from the WW2 era and museum exhibits, I saw three different options:

1. With rough welded seam.
  2. With neat welded seam.
  3. With a smooth joint, similar to cold pressure welding.
    I think what I did will not be a mistake. :blush:

a rough weld would be more recognizable as soviet, and a nice technique to learn. NightShift has tons of examples showing how to make weld seams with tamiya putty, and they looks great.

I would agree, seems like weld quality could be all over the place and yours looks fine.

1 Like

However, if the barrels were all made in 1 factory, only the weld quality would vary, not the type of weld. I’d venture to guess that one factory would have the same welding equipment for all the barrel making lines.

Continuing the discussion from Assemble in 150 (?) hours! SU-85 mod. 1943 early production. MiniArt 35178:

Certainly! On all four fuel tanks I will make the same welds.
I will not use a two-component putty :smile: I won’t be able to do everything within the set 150 hours :smiley:

1 Like

Planned update.

3 Likes

Those look great!

:smiley: Tomorrow I’ll finish the welds and try to make them the same. And I’ll clean up the putty spots.

Those look nice!

:slightly_smiling_face:I’ll work on them a little more. There are also photo-etched handles. :smile:

1 Like

Planned update.

I decided not to make the welds too rough. Made them softer, not sharp in texture.

1 Like

Looks great!

Unplanned update. :smiley:

I’m finally done with the tanks (plastic work)! Photo-etched handles remain.
One of the most difficult elements of the model.

1 Like

:smiley: Trying :smiley:

Planned update.

1 Like

Unplanned update.

2 Likes