AutoModeler Group Build Discussion Thread

Next order of business, does anybody want to volunteer to select the next Group Build to follow on from “WOTUJAT” ?? The next Group Build is scheduled to start on April 1, 2022.

There is a list in the opening post of this thread to choose from, alternatively I’m sure we would all be open to further suggestions.

First in to reply here in this thread gets the job, otherwise I can resort to the trusty old random selection from our list of regulars.

Cheers, D

In regards to the difficulty navigating this new site my observation is that you can end up logging on to just about any spot on the site. the old site opened on a general page and in the header you could pick the fourm you wanted to go to. At the same time that general page listed in the lower right all the recent activities. why don’t we just restrict or channel all logons to start at this one common page in order to navigate to where you want to go. on that common page can be listed all recent posts as well as a list of current and in progress campaigns. seems simple to me. sometimes too many options is not a good thing. everything is too spread out here with little organization. We need a starting centralized page that has to be logged on to in order to go where you want and it will at the same time inform everyone about all that is going on with the whole site. similar to the old site What do you all think? if you like this idea please feel free to pass it along to the appropriate authorities.

Joe

Damian,

Seems like there’s no interest or people missed this opportunity.Giving it a bump.
Dave

Hi David.

Given the very low participation in the last couple of group builds, I’m tipping it’s a lack of interest problem.
Honestly, I’m inclined to give the group builds a rest for a while and let people just run with their own build threads in the main Auto forums. We have a great variety of high quality builds going on at the moment, and I don’t want to complicate that or distract folks with the pressure of a time sensitive themed build.

I could be wrong though :thinking:

Cheers, D

I agree with you. I think everyone wants to participate but right now there seems to be a lot going on. If there’s interest, I can lead the next one.

Dave,
D and I have discussed these numerous times as each GB the numbers just got worse and worse till the one ending in a few weeks that Just D, Richard, and one other build I believe actually got finished. I don’t believe that anyone else even started a build if they did in fact enter.

Giving it a rest for a while as its been one GB every 6 months plus the ongoing Shelf Queen GB gets to be more of a routine then anything else.

One issue with cars/trucks/bikes is that you really need a very strong theme to tie them all together.

joel

Agreed, I’m guilty of not being able to finish because of extenuating circumstances (no excuses though). I do have a number of cars and bikes to build, and certainly not everyone is interested in topics I like. Fr’instance, I have a number of Porsche and Nissan cars that I need to apply my attention to. Plus several motorcycles and on and on.
Maybe revisit this in the fall and go from there if there’s enough interest.
Dave

Dave,
There’s always more interest then signees, which was always the case on Aeroscale as well. I’m thinking that maybe if we decrease the time frame to lets say 4 months, leaving 2 months between GBs, they would have more interest then one right after another. Also, there’s the sign up but not start till months later issue, then when the 1st group finishes most just don’t keep on checking in regularly, so there’s less overall interest in the GB. By shortening the time frame, that would help to solve those issues. The other major issue that always crops up is that they’re signed up for other GBs and Campaigns and want to finish those 1st, and either never start, or start to late. I have no idea on how to address that issue.
One thing that I’ve always done, and both D and Richard did as well, is to cross post our build blogs in the regular sections as following a build over the long haul with the system KitMakers use isn’t the easiest by any means, and lets everyone enjoy your build.

joel

Joel,
I think you’re right. I start too late or miss the beginning (my current build is a victim) and will end up finishing it outside of the dates. So, it will go to its own blog anyway, which I will cross-post. I think this is a value-add because I’ve learned a lot from the other groups and their builds that I can apply to my builds.

I do like the idea of a breather space as I don’t like the anxiety of not completing something or under a time constraint being missed. This is supposed to be fun.

David,
Fun is the KEY word for sure. After a while it’s just one GB right after another, and doesn’t give you a chance to relax, wind down, and do what ever research you still need to do on your next build.
How D works on more then one build at a time is just beyond me. I’m lucky if I can remember which build I’m working on for a GB every so often.
The two months would give me the option to start a build that’s not a GB model, and since it takes me 3-4 months to finish a build, I can start it, then put it down till after my GB build is done, then finish it up, and then start the cycle all over again.
We need to bring D into this conversation as he’s the Mod on this forum, and will be making all of the needed decisions.
joel

Joel, believe me, it’s chaos on the bench here at times, but half of the fun is unscrambling the puzzle to get the parts attached to the correct kit!

I’ve been following the discussion here, and also thinking about the duration and frequency of Group Builds to try to avoid non-completions and “burnout” with the contributors. I was actually thinking about just running one each year, but sticking with the 6-month run time. Maybe April to September inclusive. The 6 months would give some of the slower builders adequate time, and also allow for the multi-genre builders to participate in other forum Campaigns at the same time without excessive pressure. The faster builders can get it done and get back to their own builds.

Always open for discussion and appreciate the input of everybody here.

Cheers, D

D,
I think that last year I did mention just the one GB idea along with the never ending Shelf Queen GB. I really think that it’s the best of all ways for us to go. But since It’s almost April, there’s not enough time to put up the next subject for discussion and to see how the rest of the members feel about the change. So how about a May or even a June start, then the 6 months run?
joel

I like the idea. It would allow personal model time and a chance to take a break, too.

I take it by the lack of replies that group builds are dead?
Great way to kill a group by changing the format!

1 Like

Richard,
Nice to see you posting again. Hope all is well with you.

The GBs are on hold as the last 2 have had almost no interest nor signees. So we thought we’d give it a rest and see if there’s any interest down the road.

joel