Avia S-199 "Mezek", Eduard 1/72

Yeah, I’ve had a look. There will definitely need to be some modifications (getting rid of the canopy rail and moving the d/f loop base), but I think most of the parts are there and I can finagle the rest. I think.

On the other hand, I understand Eduard is planning a 1/48 version. I’ve written them and suggested that, if they do, they’ll have all three of Israel’s first fighters (Avia, Spit IXe, and P-51D) in 1/48. A Royal Class offering of all three in IAF markings for the 75th anniversary of Israel’s War of Independence next year could be a good seller. Guess we’ll see.

Thanks again, and have a good holiday!

Michael

Definition of a good holiday: a Mirage 2000D flying low by the beach, staying subsonic just below Mach 1 (where else do you stay subsonic by the way :grin:), where I sat sipping a beer and looking out over the Mediterranean :slight_smile: ! We sometimes have them around the house we rent as well but it was a few years ago since I saw them here.

I would love such a Royal Class boxing in 1/72, they have the Avia and the Spit and probably can call in the future Arma Hobby P-51D to complete the package. With a beer glass please, I have one each from the Spit box and the FW-190 box and would love to have a glass with the Star of David on!

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

I took a long holiday from modelling this year, sometimes a manage to build quite a lot over the summer but this time I haven’t done anything. Oh well, there will be more summers AND a long and productive autumn that’s just made for modelling :slight_smile: .

Almost finished with the stencilling but unhappy that I didn’t paint the stars of David, it would have been very easy cutting masks avoiding those shining white backgrounds that I’ll have to tone down some way or another. Also, even if Eduard’s new decals are really good they still struggle to get down into all the tiny surface detailing of these very nice kits.

Finally, though this might be old news for some, these models are the first in a line of late 109s (G and K) that Eduard are to release, something to really look forward to!

Magnus

7 Likes

Hi Magnus!

Great to see these on the move again.:slightly_smiling_face:

Totally understand you taking a break though: was a very warm summer in Europe and one that should be enjoyed out doors… :cowboy_hat_face:

Looking forward to the 109G-K from Eduard: their 1/72 range has been somewhat neglected of late :hugs:

Good to see you back, Magnus. And apropos of the Israeli Avia, happy (Jewish) New Year!

Michael :israel: :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome back to the bench, Magnus! Sometimes we all need a break. Compared to you I haven’t been very productive this year. Only 5 builds finished so far …

Your Avias look great from here. So far I have no problems with Eduards new decals. Do you use any softener on them?

Superb build, Magnus, as always!

Fun fact: in the IAF the plane was called “Sakin” (knife), derived from Messer(schmitt).

@Russelle I have never been able to figure out Eduard’s release policy, I thought that when you have the CAD data the majority of the work is done and then it’s “just” designing the tooling. On the other hand, everyone operates with limited resources and these are best spent where the best return of investment is and that might not be in 1/72 scale :frowning: . The Avia 534 was released in 3 (!) scales (144, 72 and 48) while the Tempest seems solidly stuck in 1/48. With the new Airfix kit around I don’t expect us to get a 1/72-kit even though I would love to see one. The 109s will be very welcome though :slight_smile: !

@michaelsatin I’m not to picky when it comes to reasons to celebrate, I can take anyone’s New Year as an excuse to drink a glass of bubbles :grin: !

@BlackWidow Thanks for you kind remark about my productivity :slight_smile: ! I use my standard setup of MicroSet and MicroSol and it works just fine. Quality of decals is slightly inconsistent, with these it was a bit more work than I have experienced earlier since the clear film tore into small pieces when trying to remove them, making this a rather tedious job.

Finally all decals are in place! Need to do some exhaust stains and also tone down the shining white of the decals! I have no idea why the air inlets were painted blue but so they were according to the Eduard instructions and who am I to disagree when there is something to liven up an otherwise fairly dull model :slight_smile: ?

Magnus

4 Likes

Not really, mate. Unfortunately only the actual data that makes up the aircraft can be scaled down from 1/48 to 1/72 (or whatever scale you chose, or up) but the rules that apply to plastic injection moulding dictate that you basically need to start the remaining part of the CAD design again. You don’t want the plastic too thick, nor would you want it too thin. (Although I suspect you understand the rules all too well, being a fellow product designer :innocent:)

Indeed, but let’s hope the “special arrangement” with Special Hobby produces some more gems :crossed_fingers:

All hail, Eduard. They have of course got the colour of the air inlets correct, being blue, here’s the example they probably referred to at Muzeum Letecky Kbely with the air inlet circled.

Meanwhile you’re edging closer to another mighty pair of additions to the squadron :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep those updates coming :smiley:

1 Like

@ReluctantRenegade “Sakin” sounds a lot classier than “mule”, thanks for telling me :slight_smile: !

@Russelle Thanks for the photo! I found more from Kbely where you can see that even the supercharger inlet has a blue lip around it (also noted in the building instructions but it feels good to have it confirmed :grin: ).

Some more details in place, exhaust stains done, I might be able to finish them this coming week!

Magnus

6 Likes

No problem at all Magnus :slightly_smiling_face:

Correct: the super charger inlet ring is indeed blue (cropped it out of the photo): seems to be small details all around that were picked out in that colour; I’ve a few pics from our visit if you need any particular detail, but it looks like Eduard have thought of everything :cowboy_hat_face:

Something to plan for your build schedule next year Magnus: this was in the latest Eduard brochure…

@Russelle That looks promising, really promising! The logic step, considering the ancestry of the S-199, would be a late-war machine, possible a G-10 or a K-4 but that´s an -F in the CAD pics. I don’t mind though, I can do an -F while I wait for the late-war ones :slight_smile: !

And now we’re almost there…

Magnus

4 Likes

It does look promising doesn’t it Magnus? :slightly_smiling_face: The text mentions a “G” but you know your 109s so the 1/72 revolution may yet be happening at Eduard. Still I am surprised this didn’t eventuate as a Special Hobby kit given the “Special Agreement” that they seem to have :thinking: Nevertheless, this will make its way into the stash one way or another :innocent:

Indeed you are! The cockpit masking is off and they’re up on their legs! :star_struck:

Getting VERY close now :grin: !

I lost one of the gun barrels to the carpet monster but found some turned brass ones in the stash.

Magnus

8 Likes

Looking great, Magnus! But I think you have the props reversed.

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

@michaelsatin You’re certainly right and I would probably have glued them on that way, subconsciously assuming that blue-and-white means Israel! Thanks for pointing that one out :slight_smile: !

Magnus

Know what you mean. It would look good with the blue and white spinner! And maybe the rudder stripes as well.

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

But Blue and White are also in the czech flag, or - back then - CSSR :czech_republic:

Now we’re incredibly close to almost finished!

@BlackWidow and @michaelsatin Note especially how incredibly correct the props have been attached, once again thanks :slight_smile: !

Some antenna wires and wheel-weathering still to do, stay tuned!

Magnus

7 Likes