Barksdale AFB Museum; Bossier City, (Shreveport) LA

Barksdale AFB Museum; Bossier City, (Shreveport) LA.

Sorry to say but I arrived just at dusk with no chance to return the next day, so these photos are perhaps the best I could do.

I invite anyone/everyone to add their Barksdale Museum photos to this thread.

8 Likes

Very nice. Look like they keep them in good order as well…is it still an actual base ? And the museum inside the fence or just a museum ?
I knew all of them apart from the top one and forget it’s name… ?

1 Like

The first one is a Boeing B-47 Stratojet. Formerly from the 303rd Bombardment Wing.

2 Likes

5 Likes

The Aircraft do seem to be EXTREMELY well maintained given that they are sitting outdoors 24/7 on a runway parking apron in the strong Louisiana sunshine!

The base is still very active: Barksdale is home to the 8th Air Force and the 2nd Strategic Bomb Group as well as the AF Global Strike Command.

1 Like

Although this region is my old stomping ground I’ve never been to Barksdale AFB, one thing I can say about the Vulcan Bomber . . . you just don’t realize how flippin" big it is until one flies overhead at about 300 ft, and so slow you think it’s just gonna drop. Great photos of some grand ole planes, a lot of history in those old airframes that we will probably never know the whole story of anyone of them.

Cajun :crocodile:

2 Likes

That was great seeing that Vulcan in the images above. When I was young you could see them landing/taking off/ parked at a place called Filton airstrip on the way to Bristol, was great as a school kid who loved stuff like that. You could see Concorde there regular, Victor’s, Lightnings, Phantoms, lots of unusual stuff as well…I think there was some sort of maint facility there.
One of my luckiest sights was years ago was as I was driving down the M4 motorway, it was pretty quiet and low traffic, and near RAF Lyneham I heard this real loud deep rumble…and about 200/300 ft in front of me, this Vulcan appeared at what must of been close to minimum flight height as you could see every detail… And it proceeded to fly on up the valley before it started to climb. It was a jaw dropping sight. Found out later it was on its final flight before retirement and overflying key places and RAF stations around the UK…

2 Likes

2 Likes

Those are great pictures… Thank you for posting them!

2 Likes

Brilliant photos, thanks for sharing! I wish they kept at least the WW2 birds indoors…