Basic Soviet WWll green as used on armor

I need a one-off mix of Soviet armor green. I’m not about to order a bottle of special paint that I can probably mix a close approximation with my Tamiya paints. I’m thinking maybe a mix of Tamiya Olive Green lightened with some Dark Yellow, or just NATO Green. Any other solutions, Tamiya paints only?
:grin: :canada:

I found this on another website, to replicate the original Soviet 4BO using Tamiya XF-81, Dark Green 2 RAF, with XF-4, Yellow Green.

Soviet 4BO green Tamiya equivalent - Missing-Lynx (tapatalk.com)

1 Like

Thanks for that info. I didn’t know the designation for the color and I just Googled it and the first four 4BO colors from well-known model paint manufacturers were wildly different from each other! So much for color research! :rage:

This is the paint chip from AK Interactive’s “Real Color” series 4BO Protective Paint. I think this is as close to the original color per spec you can get, IMO.

1 Like

I’ve used the following mixes for 4BO for Tamiya:

2:1 with XF 81:XF4. If you want a more faded version go 1:1.

Think 4BO is fairly forgiving as prone to a lot of variation depending on age of vehicle. Factory etc. Used the above mixes in my SU 122 build (mainly the base, rather tang faded mix):

[

6 Likes

Well, from the amount of varying shades of “4BO” from different paint manufacturers, just about any shade of Olive Green would be correct. On my monitor the above chip of AK Real Colors looks like a match for Tamiya OD out of the bottle. Think I’ll compromise with what I have - US OD, Olive Green, and a touch of Dark Yellow. All Tamiya. Thanks.

1 Like

Beautiful job on that SU-122 btw!

1 Like

I used and liked the AK-Real stuff on my JSU-2

1 Like

Yeah…but like I said, I want to stick to Tamiya paints.

1 Like

Kind of hijacking the topic, but I hope you’d forgive me :smile:

I will be starting Trumpeter 09545 - 2P16 Launcher with 2K6 missile soon and I am using this picture as a reference:

(it is taken from 2K6 Luna-1 (NATO - FROG-5), Central Museum of Armed Forces, Moscow, Russia, by Vladimir Yakubov, I hope this would qualify as “fair use” of the picture)
Do you think that Mr.Color C511 is a good match for the vehicle and Mr.Color C512 for the missile itself?

I use Tamiya Field Gray XF-65.

1 Like

That’s good! I hadn’t considered Field Gray! :+1:

I use it based on a Steven Zaloga recommendation. I don’t have the link anymore but he recommended 3 or 4 different ways to depict 4bo green. I find it quite convincing as a faded version.

This should help (from another forum):

I make no claim to this.