Battle of the Ardennes museum (and then some), La Roche-en-Ardenne, Belgium

During out visit to the Belgian Ardennes last July, I of course had to do some visits related to the Battle of the Bulge. One of them is the museum in La Roche-en-Ardenne. Here the Scottish Black Watch Regiment, 51st Highland Division hooked up with the American 84th Division “Railsplitters” on the 11th of Januari 1945. Between the beginning of the campain and this event, the town was greatly devastated by US artillery, and later, when the weather cleared, bombing in an attempt to harass the German army passing through. This being a important crossing of the Ourthe river, as the US army did not destroy the bailey bridge erected by them on their first liberation of the town.
In and around town there are several locations reminding of the time.
I know there is an M10 Achilles somewhere on the hill opposite the town, but did not visit that one. On the town side, the is a M4A1(76)W( according to the resources I found) Sherman. It supposedly was knocked out by a shot penetrating it’s armor, killing the whole crew. Between 1990 and 2004 a M46 Patton was located on the very same place.
The aforementioned meeting between the British and US armies is conmemmorated with a plaque, while there is a museum about the Battle of The Bulge in the centre of the town. It has a Panzerjager 38(t) “Hetzer” (or G13?) in front, so cannot be missed. The museum, which is on three floors, has a nice collection of vehicles, weapons and artifacts (how did they get the vehicles on the 2nd and 3rd floors?)

For more info: Musée de la Bataille des Ardennes — La Roche-en-Ardenne

On our way back, we came across Baraque de Fraiture, where a chaotic battle took place, holding up the Germans for a valuable couple of days. Now a US 105 mm howitzer and a couple of plaques remind you of the actions there.
More info: Battle of the Baraque de Fraiture Crossroads

Now on to the pictures. I excuse myself for the sometimes poor quality of the photos. The light was not too good and everything was behind glass. This made use of a flash nearly impossible.

The Plaque

The Sherman

The Museum:

The howitzer:

8 Likes

Superb looking museum- I particular like the displays of weaponry and other artefacts that (presumably) were found and excavated from the local area. Thanks for sharing Erwin!

1 Like

Those indeed are bottom findings, excavated many moons after the battle…
It is interesting to see what is left after the wooden parts are gone.

As always, it is my pleasure to share with you what I have seen…

1 Like

Another little gem. Nice images and thanks again for showing them Erwin. It is nice to know these little places exist…hope they keep going for a long time and the display vehicles are kept in decent repair :+1:

Well, thank you John!
I have one more up my sleeve, but adding goes very slow, as one can add only 5 pics at a time, and the site has the nasty habit to change to order of the pics too. And I know there are a few musea around that area I have not visited yet. Yet , the intention is to visit the region more often, so I trust those will be added in due time…

1 Like

Fantastic stuff - great 1:1 dioramas. Thanks for posting, amazing effort.

1 Like

I also do love it when musea put effort in their display and try to make a coherent display out of their collection. Much more interesting to watch…

2 Likes