Berlin Brigade Chieftain

The engine deck full brown???
nooooooo I’ve to repaint my one!!!

Unfortunately yes.

4 Likes

Yes this is one of the pics in the tankograd book. Excellent book btw. I painted mine brown based on that reference, many other interesting vehicles in that book too.

2 Likes

Here, a picture of the vehicle side. Taken on Allied Forces Day 1988. The lettering on the hull stowage box is a little larger/different characters) than the one which was photographed one year earlier for the magazine article. Apologise for the bad colours in the picture-this picture was exposed to light accidently during storage.

5 Likes

Beautiful. I love the camouflage.

2 Likes

Had plenty of discussions about this myself, and IFF panel’s not being white in the gulf 2.

1 Like

It’s an old model, without a big photos reference (pre internet era)
if I found some pics I share to you

1 Like

Hi again,
I am a member of a fb group where a lot of ex Berlin Armoured Sqn tankies are signed in. There I posted the question of the colour of the engine deck. Members of B Sqn 14/20 Kings Hussars (from May 85) and C Sqn 14/20 KH (from Jan 1988), meaning Chieftain Mk9C and ALL the M10C (Stillbrew) stated, all engine decks were brown (like on my photograps). Before 14/20KH, D Sqn, 4th/7th DG (the inventors of the camouflage), and D Sqn, Queens Own Hussars had been posted there. No info available from that period of time.

Andreas

1 Like

I saw them with my owns eyes in 85 or 86. Took several photos and built one from the Tamiya kit using three different colors or primer, and they were almost spot on. At any rate, the engine deck was brown on the one example I climbed on as well.
I’m pretty sure it was ‘85.

Andreas, In 83 they were brown, looking down from my room, on their weekly drive around.

3 Likes

OK, one other question in reference to the article I posted above, does anyone know what the car was?
Ken

Based on the ten slotted wheels that require a ridiculous hub cover, and lack of wrap around turn indicators in the front, I"d start looking at Audis first.

I think you’re right - possibly an early Audi 80?

If you’re looking at that Audi there’s something wrong. :slight_smile:

1975 Audi 80 by tne way. Look at angular door frames and disinctive C pillar.

This one is only a two door, but it’s the same basic car:

I must confess I didn’t actually study the car very much.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Hi!
In the Fb group someone who was the former owner posted that it ws a Ford Cortina. Since it was old when being sold for crap I would guess a model of early 70s like that one:

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-60010911/classic-cars/1975-ford-cortina-302-cleveland

Hope that helps

Andreas

1 Like

That might well be, but not the model in the photo at least. The doors and C pillars are way different. It’s yellow at least. :grinning:

Compare the Audi’s wheels above to the original - same wheels minus the wack hub cover.

I looked up the Cortina, that lead me to the Ford Taunus, made in Germany. It’s hard to say for sure, the photos are not clear and the car is crushed.
Ken

well, I only looked for cortina myself in the www and found this picture. My only reference is that as an answer to my request regarding the picture published here a former member of the squadron answered, it was his old “Cortina” which he sold to a colleague in the squadron who scraped it later and then it was used for that event.