Best tank that never was

That’d be a great addition! Whether built as the German or the US version, it would be welcome. Bear in mind the DS tracks that are unique with no AM replacement, so yours need to be a “good” set… (Unless you assume they upgraded to Leo 2 tracks or M1 Abrams tracks on your build, of course!)

Lots of very cool ideas.

It’s very tempting. I’ve had the Meng Tortoise waiting to be built since it’s first release and that’s about the only thing I have that fits. Depends on what other builds I’m doing. I think I was a bit overambitious in signing up to a few campaigns already!

1 Like

You and me both… :thinking:

1 Like

Or didn’t go into service in any numbers, like the sole Porsche Tiger 1 which did get some battlefield use? It seems a lot of odd prototypes like the Maus and Kugelblitz were pressed into service. But to push the limits a bit, how about "What If"s that might have happened? The ICM 1/35th model of the Rheinmetall VK31 Leichttraktor most likely fits the bill for this campaign OOB, but I just don’t care for it and had thoughts of depicting it in a fictional afterlife; stripped of the turret and fitted with a drawbar as a “morserzugleicht” (the cover name becoming a reality). Or perhaps a prototype dumped at Kazan after the unsatisfactory tests and fiddled with by the Russians?

Regards,

M

Actually, probably the reason that these tanks never were produced was because they would prove obsolete. For instance, Khrushchev stopped all Soviet heavy tank production in 1960 because newer, lighter tanks which were just as good in protection and firepower were coming out, and heavy tanks were expensive to manufacture and maintain, and had a way of not getting across bridges. Why in WW1 French FT tanks would succeed when their bigger tanks did not.

Interesting campaign idea. Does anyone happen to have a list of “Paper Panzer” 1/35 kits that are available?

Thank you,
Randy :slight_smile:

Just look at the Trumpeter and Dragon 1/35 list of German tank kits and you’ll find plenty… :wink:

1 Like

Amusing Hobby also does a lot of paper.

1 Like

Yes, anything that got a “let’s take one out to see how it fares” trial in combat still counts. I define “service” as meaning the tank went into large-scale production and use by its makers. The humble Skink tank got a few weeks of excitement in NWE before the war ended, but only a handful were built and they all had differences as prototypes. But I’d exclude the likes of the T26E3 because the 20 in Zebra Mission were just the start of M26 series production, so effectively it became a “service” tank.

1 Like

So the T26E4 would be a good candidate, being a small development batch, one saw combat, and then the rest are cancelled at the end of the war.

I think Tom said no to the T26E3 Carlos

Based on the first post, I think Tom’s intention here is:

The subject is to be a real vehicle that that did not go into full scale production but was either made and tested (e.g. Tortoise, T-28 Super Heavy, Sturer Emil, MBT 70, etc), or was actually started to be built (e.g. Maus). It does not include vehicles that were only ever designs on paper or built as a mock up (e.g. Conqueror based ‘Badger’ and Panzer VII Löwe or Panther Coelien with it’s wood turret and guns) . This also means ‘what if’ are excluded as none were ever built.

Further, the vehicle should not be a prototype or original test bed of a vehicle that did go into production. It can be a substantive change in purpose to a vehicle that did go into production, e.g. the Skink on Sherman hull and Kugelblitz on Panzer IV, being on production vehicle hulls, but still okay as they were specific AA variants not produced in numbers.

Correct me if I got it wrong Tom.

This might be a starting place to check against Randy

See if anything interests you, then look to see if a kit is made (or look at the kit and check back to the list!)

1 Like

Tom, just to clarify: the Dragon 1:35 kit is that of the German Kpz 70 - you cannot build a US version from it. The only 1:35 MBT 70 is the resin version produced by Commander Models.

Friul do a metal track set. Commander Models recommend the AFV Club track set AF3512 (M1A1 & A2) for their kit.

'Not trying to be a smartarse or anything (!)

1 Like

I have a few of the German vehicles unbuilt like the Dicker Max, Heuschrecke, and Neubaufahrzeug.

Might go with the Neub.

1 Like

Which Manufacturer’s? I built the Amusing Hobby version. It was a great build. Only flaws are the slightly undersized cupola, a fender support that needs to be removed and the etch shovelbracket that is too tall. The latter are easy fixes. Dragon and Trumpeter’s have a lot of flaws if you are a bit of an accuracy freak…
https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/neubaufahrzeug/neubaufahrzeug01.html

He did indeed. I was mentioning the T26E4, aka Super Pershing. It started out as an upgunned version with a larger & longer 90mm gun, a la 88mm kwk 36 to the 88mm kwk 43, and was field modified with additional armor. One fired it’s gun in combat on a handful of occasions, depending upon the source. Hobbyboss makes a 1/35 kit

1 Like

Ah, gotcha. That would certainly be an interesting build.

I have the AH kit.

1 Like

You will enjoy it then. :+1:

Indeed it would!