Best way to strip Vallejo?

Bought this POS for $5, thinking it might paint up OK after stripping to bare plastic. All of the Vallejo paint has got to go.

Informed suggestions much appreciated.

Last time I had to strip paint was in the 1980’s and it was Poly S with Polly S paint remover.

3 Likes

Denatured alcohol

2 Likes

^^Second^^

3 Likes

I’ve used both 70% and 91% isopropyl alcohol. They quickly cut through Vallejo paint without affecting the underlying plastic. I found the process surprisingly easy and quick.

3 Likes

Thank you, all for the denatured alcohol tip.

Any preference to immersion vs brush
vs airbrush application to remove the paint?

1 Like

I just used a saturated piece of rag and Q tips

3 Likes

if you have time to order and await to get it, VMS remover works very well with acrylics in general:

1 Like

I mostly used cotton swabs soaked in isopropyl alcohol to clean off problem parts. A relatively stiff brush should work great. One bigger part went into a small tub of alcohol. When almost all the paint was off, I went at it with a soft toothbrush, then the cotton swabs. After paint settled in the tub, I poured the leftover alcohol into a glass bottle and used it for cleaning tasks. Unlike my experiences stripping other forms of paint, Vallejo paint was extremely quick and easy to remove.

Isopropyl alcohol is used in hand sanitizers and for cleaning tasks in places like hospitals. It contains isopropyl alcohol and some water. Water enables the alcohol to pass cell membranes and thus kill bacteria. Unlike denatured alcohol, isopropyl alcohol does not contain chemicals designed to make it especially unpleasant for humans. It is useful as a first aid and disinfecting agent. I use it in both of the latter capacities on a regular basis, which is how I came to use it for stripping Vallejo paint. It was already in the medicine cabinet.

2 Likes

Given Vallejo’s reputation, I’m surprised nobody has said “masking tape.”

:joy:

8 Likes

Thank you, VMS Clean Slate sounds very promising. Plus it’s safe for my Ultra Sonic cleaner.

@Spitfire , that’s hilarious :joy: :smiley: :smile:
Well said!

4 Likes

Yea, the VMS clean slate is great. Even stripes automotive primer on resin and 3D printed resin models. If in US, Michigan Toy Soldier has VMS products, but even ordering from VMS is pretty quick.

2 Likes

Placed VMS order with Michagian Toy for stripper.

Appreciate all of the good advise & humor!

1 Like