Birth of a figure,(s)

These two are the latest in a series of figures in 1/25th scale.
The first is a standing Panzergrenadier. He eventually will be on the rear engine deck of a Panzer III. He and another figure, (not seen here), are Tank hunters, and both are carrying Model 43 Teller Mines.
The second is a mortar crewman. He will be dropping the round into the mortar.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Looks good.

1 Like

So, the next step for me is to remove all details I want to replace, Tamiya’s 1/25 range figures as you know came out originally in the late 1970’s early 1980’s. Then they were re-released in the early 1990’s. So,
with any of Tamiya’s figures from that era, they have great details, and details that need to be replaced. In this case, collar patches, shoulder tabs and buttons, eventually he will also have the IC2 ribbon added.

2 Likes

Nice job so far Whitney. Those are very old figures for sure and that boot you made looks very good .

1 Like

Many THANKS. The devil is in the details right.
Here is an example of a work further in progress.

This NCO is at the Tractor Factory in Stalingrad…

2 Likes

So, here my panzerjager is taking shape, he got fitted for his head, and both arms are in place.
I also started on his rifle hand. need to make sure it’s accurate. Good grip, good location on the rifle. Shep spoke of Balance versus symmetry. That applies to the little aspects as well as the big ones…

1 Like

Final stop for tonight,
Started on his gasmask container. As anyone who has ever worked with these figures knows, the accessories were duplicated from Tamiya’s VERY early 1/35th scale figures, which were state of the art in 1972, BUT 50 years later, well they suck. Now Preiser Germany, produced, (produces still??), 1/24th scale German Accessories. But they too are not adequate. So, I have spent the last 30 years perfecting, reproducing and creating the bulk of the German Infantry gear.
Here is the start of creating a gasmask in 1/25th scale

1 Like

Alterations are coming along nicely. I have three 1/25th scale Tamiya figs myself.

1 Like

The finished Gasmask, it isn’t perfect, and I may redo it without posting, but this shows the details.

1 Like

10 pieces total

So, this morning I tried sanding the Tamiya Putty, still tacky… SO. I put the cart before the horse and started the Infantry Assault Pack, Now I’ve been doing them for 20 years, BUT today I set out to add more detail. and instead of just plastic strips, I added masking tape strips. Which give great detail at this scale. I have been using masking tape for slings and such for decades…
Now, please don’t be too critical of the rough shape of the pack and that there are gaps, those will be corrected, and remember, most of the pack is hidden by his equipment.

1 Like

AFrame2(1)

So, the nay-sayers will no doubted say, “it’s not to scale”. And they won’t be incorrect. BUT… As my modeling mentor liked to say, “sometimes just enough is good enough”. You don’t have to build the entire interior of a tank just because a hatch or two are opened, "just enough is good enough…
I also included a grenade bag the Jager is gonna be carrying.

1 Like

Here is the Assault pack, the bread bag, and canteen. You can see the work on details. You can see the basic Tamiya canteen.

1 Like

This is where I am at. I truly value criticism, if it is offered as a mechanism for improvement. So, with that thought in mind I am going to ask the viewers thoughts. You all are model builders, presumably, right???
I believe in my heart I did my math correct, (which is always an issue for me, DAMN LONG MATH), I created German 39 Egg Grenades in 1/25th scale, BUT they look way too big. So that leads me back to you. What do you think? I have already decided to use them as is. But I am curious. Thanks, in advanced.
In the pictures Blue is 1/25th and yellow is 1/16th just as a reference.

Just a test fitting of his head and semi-finished helmet

Here is the Jager a tad cleaner, starting to pre fit his equipment, including the Teller mine.

1 Like

Truly inspiring to watch the progress

1 Like

That is very kind of you, many thanks