Black Ops, northern Italy -43

Amazing work with the bricks and the wall and very good that you show everything you do.
A tip for buying blue styrofoam is this page [Buy Styrofoam, light blue, trimmed online at Modulor]
There you can buy only the thicknesses you use

1 Like

Your walls and bricks are inspirational for me. I’m interested in every step so I can make my own 1:72 scale work
Your work is truly brilliant and fabulous

2 Likes

Thanks guys!
@Micke_MM ,that shop will run out of blue gold after I made my order:) thanks for the tip.

Wall ready, this was the easy part, the painting and weathering process will take more time.
Checking all angles:

Work continues

4 Likes

Nice to see the dry run Erik. It gives us a good perspective and a little glimpse into how it will end up
 I still like the cart as it is to be honest. From the other side of the wall looking at the Germans, the 2 nearest the wall appear to be showing alot of body
maybe slightly reposition them or shallow out a little bit of the foam to lower them so only their heads show
 It could well be just the camera angle though
 Looking forward to the next update :+1:

1 Like

Everything looks really good, but the beams on the gable look wrong. I can be very wrong but I think the beams should be wider.
You’re probably checked that it should look like that (but my brain reacted)

1 Like

@Johnnych01 John, don’t panic:) it’s just the photo angle. No one will see them, I promise.
@Micke_MM Micke, you are right of course. I did the easiest solution with the material I had in front of me. A weakness that sometimes appear
.luckily for me I have your eyes on my work:)
It’s just to “gör om, gör rĂ€tt” in Swedish:)

1 Like

I am having a wonderful weekend practicing painting 1/72 figures. I am painting the figures for this work but I also try to paint some British Waterloo era figures. They are 3D printed and the quality is superb. I also painting a standing SS officer holding a binocular, that’s for another dio.
Some pictures:

5 Likes

Pea dot in 1/72? You’ve lost your mind. But certainly not your talent. Outstanding work.

3 Likes

Now that’s pretty special. The Waterloo figure looks great, some lovely colours there and very well detailed as well
 But that SS officer
 That jacket cam is superb
fantastic scheme Erik :+1:

1 Like

Thanks guys!
I kept working with the SS officers face. Man it’s a tricky business. I think this is as good as it gets.

Well it’s a lot of fun. I hope to finish the figures for the Black Ops diorama until next weekend. And then the fun times starts!

5 Likes

@DIOWORK Erik, doing that much details in 1/72 scale, is nothing short of an artist at work. That officer’s camo is truly and utterly unique, brilliant and amazing. Certainly you have achieved that level of WOW effect.

2 Likes

What an amazing work you have done.
How can you paint these little details it’s crazy

1 Like

Thanks guys! I really can’t explain, I just do it, but it takes a lot of time of course.
Rights now I practice to paint a dead horse, not yet finished.
I am afraid it will end up with a little Waterloo vignette

2 Likes

Something like this

forget the autumn trees, just for illustration. Waterloo was in June.

3 Likes

Making the stirrups:

3 Likes

This little bit of Waterloo is bringing back a lot of fun memories for me. I remember when I was probably 10 maybe a bit younger, buying all the old airfix Waterloo figures, French and English, the various cannons for each and the cavalry figures with their horses and meticulously painting each one, then devising my own little mini wargames scenario after making up the rules 

Love what your doing with this Erik, they look superb and the stirrups are a very nice bit of detailing :+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks John! I feel the same about the Airfix figures. I had them as well, actually I still have them, and actually the two horses are from these kits:) So I am quite emotional with this vignette, A lot of memories, but as you see in a more brutal way that shows the face of death.
So, cheers for the old Airfix figures and all the good old memories!

The horses still need some small improvements, quite happy with the look so far.

2 Likes

Me too, I had an attic space and regularly had Waterloo going on, except I’d go up the next day to find half the troops mown down
took me a couple of weeks of accusing my elder brothers of ruining my wargame until I began to notice unusual debris on the battlefield
:mouse2: :poop:

3 Likes

In a way I think I enjoy mock-ups more than building the diorama. To sit and look in my stash for figures that fit in a scenario is a great thing.
Like today, for fun I tested to make some rubble/debris from a destroyed wall. I thought, oh it would be fun to add a figure or two

suddenly the hunt for the perfect figures had started. I was surprised how easy I got a group of figures that actually worked in the scenario.
But the hole in the wall should be a little wider, so the soldiers that are supposed to run forward have a little more space. Otherwise I think it works?
The title could be like: “Covering fire”.
Well, this is a work for the future. Here is some pictures:

PS I know it’s unreal that the officer is using his pistol for covering fire, but I think that looks quite cool:)

I have decided to go to the 08-open model contest in Stockholm this year. It takes place 9-10 of April. Therefore I have to focus on two dioramas to finish before April.
It will be this Black Ops and the Checking Out vignette.
So all covering fire, Waterloo etc have to wait.

I have cut out one of the corners and prepared a wider part to put there.
Cheers!

4 Likes

I love how you are able to cobble a mock up together so quickly, and have it looking so good and realistic
 whereas it would take me days to get where you are.

I think the idea of this one is sound and the layout looks nice with how you’ve placing the figures
it wouldn’t be unheard of for an officer to have his pistol drawn in that scenario, so don’t rush to take him out the scene Erik. Can’t wait for the next installment :+1::tumbler_glass:

2 Likes