BLUE WATER NAVY Thoughts

Hi Friends,

I’m on the fence about if I should pick up some 2nd hand unbuilt Blue Water Navy kits. Does anyone have experience with them and what are your thoughts.

HG

HG, I’m not a particular fan of resin/metal kits, and my only experience with Blue Water Navy kits is their USS Bainbridge from the 1990s.

When I bought one way back then I was impressed with the very complete looking resin and brass etch parts, but in fixing the numerous shortcomings of the kit (warped hull parts, bubbles that appeared in the resin as I sanded to fit parts together, vaguely detailed/hard to work cast metal components, etc.) the kit basically fought me to a standstill.

This is not to say that this BWN was a bad kit, but if you want get a good model out of it you really have to work for it!

1 Like

I have built many of their submarine kits, which all were finely molded with no warpage or bubbles. They are great models! Which kit are you considering?

Bill

1 Like

Thanks Bill,

The Gato, the Skipjack and the Dallas. Maybe the USS Fletcher as well. Have you built any of those?

I have their USS Houston., unfortunately the early kit with the 4-piece hull. That has kept me from trying to build it for 25 years.

Their later models were better cast.

FWIW, last year I contacted the man who started MB Models, which Blue Water Navy acquired most of their kits from, IIRC. He lives in North Carolina but I do not recall his name or email (got it from a modeler on Facebook before I dumped them). He said he has nothing - molds, spare parts, etc., from MB Models any longer.

1 Like

Thanks for the info my Friend.

I have built the three submarines you mentioned. The minor issue with them is the the hulls have a thin mold release plug along their keels that has to be removed. They do go together well, and they look great when finished. Let me know if I can help!

Bill

1 Like

Hi Bill,

Will do and thanks again.

From what you’re say though it sounds like normal resin kit stuff. I’m experienced in building resin kits and aftermarket add-ons. Each kit is selling for $30 Canadian dollars. Is this a fair price do you think?

HG

Absolutely! My LHS had several they inherited and they were marked as $45.00 each. $30.00 Canadian equates to about $23.00 US. They are excellent prices!

Bill

1 Like