BMPT in Algeria

The photos are from SAHQ-2021 exercise and are still being labelled as BMPT 72 or even BMP-T72, which they are clearly not, whether they end up with a mixture remains to be seen?

Can’t argue with these pics and I hope they will use the non grenade version as I have that kit!

I’m watching these pictures in my phone, and my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be, but it seems to me that the 30mm grenade launchers are not installed.
Just to keep speculating, perhaps these BMPT’s without the GL’s are the first delivered to Algerian Army just to start training crews, and the vehicles to be delivered in the future are the BMPT-72, so no need for the GL’s in this first batch…
Time will tell

The ones in the field do have the grenade launchers fitted, so either or, there are videos of them trundling around, not the best quality but most ( some you can’t tell one way or the other) seem to have them fitted. Since this is the first exercise with them, perhaps the Algerians are working things out about their usage?

1. The mounting for the launchers, the actual barrel might not be there
  2. Side armour differs from the BMPT-72
  3. Hatches for the launcher operators

1. No mounting, just some big boxes
  2. Different side armour
  3. No hatches for launcher operators, locations partially covered by the big boxes

Maybe more visible in this box-art
bild

The differences between the BMPT and the BMPT-72 are quite apparent and well known.
My point is that in a couple of photos of the Algerian vehicles the GL’s themselves seem to be absent, not their position/stations in the hulls.

Ah-ha. Misunderstood you there

Launcher mounted
bild

No problem :ok_hand:t3:

In this photo it looks to be mounted, but it’s not too clear:
e0afbebbfd1c9bb0cd022677867744e9ccfea0ca (2)

While in this photo it’s not mounted
d5148b5ecd9451538db591b7bbbe6c1084ef8ace (2)

1 Like