British Military Equipment Disguised As Elephants

British Military Equipment Disguised As Elephants, India, WWII

16 Likes

I wonder how well that actually worked?
It does look cool!
Ken

2 Likes

Another view

These are Lanchester Mk II 6x4 armoured cars.

H.P.

8 Likes

well this is a new one on me!

3 Likes

That is a very interesting variation on Odysseus versus the Cyclops.

5 Likes

Now that would be cool to model.
There’s got to be a Monty Python sketch here.

4 Likes

As the Lanchester and elephants are available in 1/35, I"d expect to see this done sooner than later.
The only thing I find odd is that those appear to be African elephants.

4 Likes

To confuse the enemy maybe? “Colonel, are we on the right continent?”

5 Likes

It’s all well and good, until you start attracting big game hunters!

3 Likes

Brilliant… Why haven’t we heard of this before

2 Likes

Well as a citizen of these Great British Isles I’m very pleased to see the absolute lunacy that issued from some peoples minds, but if it works it’s not stupid. As the old saying goes “mad dogs and Englishmen”.

3 Likes

Maybe the camo was to make them impossible for enemy scouts to discuss - being the classic “elephant in the room”! :rofl:

5 Likes

Thank you Frenchy. The photo I posted and the one you posted are the only two images that I have been able to locate so far.

1 Like

Kind of what I was thinking. :slight_smile:

2 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

Not a bad pattern- https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vector/army-pattern-elephant-camo-background-of-green-vector-6780333

2 Likes

Ah yes, the little-known Operation Hannibal. With a cunningly concealed 25 pounder firing through the flexible trunk (for an enhanced field of fire) it was codenamed PAK Yderm. Unfortunately the wheels were a bit of a giveaway, and the impression of a stampede at 50mph was unconvincing to Japanese ground-attack pilots, so surviving examples were returned to the Delhi circus after the war, and eventually provided George Lucas with the idea of creating AT-AT Walkers. (Source: Wackypedia)_

6 Likes

Gunga Din…

:elephant:…

1 Like

People should really check the date when photos like this are published…

I understand the real story was that these were created for an arena display at a military tattoo, quite possibly in the UK.

jch

1 Like