Building Pyro’s Santa María

Beautiful work Tim! :clap: :clap: :clap:

To scale or not, these look great! :star_struck:

1 Like

Tim,
Your Santa Maria really looks the part. That swallowtail adds so much color. Displaying all three ships together is the only way to go. The difference in scales is secondary to me. Very nice look.
John

Beautiful work Tim! :clap: :clap: :clap:
To scale or not, these look great! :star_struck:

Thanks John and Russ!

My family feels the same as you about the size issue, and the consensus seems to be that the fleet belongs together. The scale disconnect does bother me a bit, though.

I had initially tried displaying the ships separately to mask the scale differences, but the little models seemed to get lost on my bookshelves.

So the fleet is back together again!

7 Likes

Excellent display. Elevating the Maria in the middle reduces the scale difference for me. Looking good.

1 Like

Hi Tim,

A bit late to the party on commissioning, congats, a great little build, I get the disparity in scale, but the three do look very good together.

:beers:

Cheers, Si

1 Like

Congrats on finishing the Santa Maria. The three ships look great displayed together!

Tim

1 Like

The fleet definitely looks better together, Tim :hugs:

1 Like

John, Si, Tim, and Russ - thank you all for your kind comments!

I really enjoy these old Pyro sailing ships, although most of them are long out of production. The few still available today are sold by “New Lindberg”, a brand of Round2 LLC, which characterizes itself as “an innovative collectibles company” marketing old kits from AMT, MPC, Hawk, Lindberg, and several other defunct older model kit manufacturers.

So, confusingly, the old Columbus ships models, originally issued by Pyro, then made by Life-Like, and later by Lindberg, are now produced by Round2 but marketed under the now-defunct Lindberg logo as “New Lindberg”!

Whatever the label, I’m just glad they are still around! :grin:

3 Likes

From what I’ve heard, Round 2 are run by a crew of passionate hobbyists like ourselves so the moulds are in good hands :blush:

2 Likes

Tim,

way to late…sorry…but nevertheless - congratulations to your commissioning of the Santa Maria and hence the complete Columbus Fleet! Your definitely build another gem here, outstanding in all respects!
And I agree with all who said, the fleet belongs together, regardless of the scale. With putting the Santa Maria in the middle and a little elevated, that hides the scale difference quite well.
And - your close ups during the build, with your fine details and buttloads of wine - makes you completely forget how small she actually is. Seeing this small model on the books somewhere in your build log almost came as a shock…

Fantastic work and another entertaining build log, that you for sharing!

Cheers
Jan

1 Like

Tim,
way to late…sorry…but nevertheless - congratulations to your commissioning of the Santa Maria and hence the complete Columbus Fleet! Your definitely build another gem here, outstanding in all respects!
And I agree with all who said, the fleet belongs together, regardless of the scale. With putting the Santa Maria in the middle and a little elevated, that hides the scale difference quite well.
And - your close ups during the build, with your fine details and buttloads of wine - makes you completely forget how small she actually is. Seeing this small model on the books somewhere in your build log almost came as a shock…

Fantastic work and another entertaining build log, that you for sharing!

Cheers
Jan

Thanks Jan, I appreciate your kind words!

This kit originally dates way back to 1952 - the very dawn of injection-molded plastic models. Marketed primarily to children, these early model kits were cheap, small, and easy to assemble… and still great for me today as even with my customary glacial building pace, I can actually finish one!

All I can picture is that book sliding down and ‘displacing’ your Santa Maria onto the floor :fearful:

1 Like

Yeah, I moved it!

:grin:

3 Likes

AWESOME Work, Tim!
Cheers,

1 Like