Bulgarian WWII Campaign(starts Sep. 8th 2021, ends March 3d 2022)

I’m already getting the sense this is going to be a fun group build :grin:

3 Likes

In for the event with a Pz IV G.

1 Like

Glad the timeframe suited you, Wade!

Plenty to choose from with the Bulgarian Ausf.G Maybachs:

These were mainly Krupp wagons- I still cannot identify the sole Ni-Werk tank delivered, that were armed with both L/43 and L/48 guns.

The tanks from the first delivery left Grusonwerk in March 1943:

While the ones from the second delivery were produced in June 43 and had the centrally mounted Bosh lamp:

Bear in mind, that Krupp started mounting the L/48 in April 1943(from Fgst.83788 on), so if you decide to do a Maybach from the second delivery then you’ll need to use the long gun.

Pictures from various sources for discussion purposes only.

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Angel, thank you! That’s very helpful!

1 Like

You betcha. We are the cool kids over here in the Bulgarian build…

1 Like

No problem, Peter!

Used to be a teacher 20 years ago😉

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Haven’t decided yet. I built this Hetzer a few years ago from the Academy kit.

Might try to build a new one or the hobby shop had the new Tamiya R35 which I think might work.

3 Likes

Nice looking Bulgarian Hetzer, Ryan!

Regardless whether you decide building a new one, or an R-35, I can send you some info/pictures,

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Peter,

I’ve seen this picture captioned as Fiat 500 Topolino in service with Bulgarian Army.
Regardless whether branded Simca 5 or Fiat Topolino, it is basically one and the same car.

Edit: 17 Simca 5 cars arrived in Bulgaria in April 1943!

Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Thanks. We will see if it’s still there when I go back.

1 Like

Agreed, we’ll have so much fun next time around let’s consider a what if 1946 Bulgarian Campaign.

Calling dibs on a Bulgarian Maus in Panzer Grey & red primer with Infra-red, Zimmerit, ERA and fifty-cal on turret in Allied markings for victory parade in Berlin. :wink:

4 Likes

Sounds awesome! :laughing:
What color would the ERA blocks be?

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:+1:

In Bulgarian tricolor, off course!
:wink:

4 Likes

Thanks Angel, great references and images. Very very useful :+1::+1:

1 Like

Did y’all have Krupp Protze kfz.69? I recall someone other then Germany also having it but it escapes me who that was. Looking at other possibly kits on hand Italeri RSO-1 and a few motorcycles M72 w/mortar or Masterbox R75. Any of these work?

To your questions, Ryan:

• The only Bulgarian Krupp Protze I know of, is a Kfz.70 that was “liberated” from its originally German owners in Hungary.
    I have a picture and the Protze has the Armored Brigade logo.

• RSO/1:
    Yes- 40 vehicles were delivered for Armored Brigade’s motorized Anti-tank Battalion. They proved unfit to tow the PAK 40 guns the Battalion fielded. Eventually the RSO/1’s were used as tractors for the leFH18/leFH 18/40 howitzers.
    I can provide pictures and info on registration numbers.

• M-72 motocycle was a copy of the German BMW R-71.
    I think Bulgarian Royal Army had the R-71 in its inventory, but I need to check- I’m not a big fan of motorcycles.

I’m not sure what you mean with Masterbox M75…
Is it a copy of BMW R75?

HTH,
Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Thanks Angel. Looks like the RSO/1 might be a winner. I did mean R75. Just looking for something outside the norm. Any information would be great.

Ryan,

BMW R-71S - 204 pieces delivered to Bulgaria between 1940 and 1942.
BMW R-75 - over 400 pieces arrived in Bulgaria in 1943.
Steyr RSO/1- 40 vehicles received in February 1943.

HTH!
Cheers,
Angel

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I assume the colors didn’t really change from German stock color for any of those three choices?