A question for the experts. I’m building a MiniArt bulldozer. I used Mig Ammo Brown Oxide primer. I’m going to use the hairspray technique. Here’s my problem. I can’t get a close match to the Cat yellow. I have Mig Ammo Gold Yellow that is too dark but will chip well. I also have Vallejo Amarillo yellow which is a closer colour. Now how would I go using the Vallejo over the hairspray? Any conflicts with Vallejo and hairspray? I’ve seen on the web that Vallejo is more ‘rubbery’ and doesn’t chip well. True?
Did you do anything different to the Vallejo paint then you would to normally spray? I ask cause I have seen the rubbery results and it peeled off it chunks. Could have been user error at the time and I don’t recall the details before hand, only after. Yours looks great.
I would recommend shooting a paint barn or sheet styrene painted the same as your dozer as a test first. I am slowing working on the Hasegawa Hitachi equipment kits, my plan is to shoot a rust color first then white then orange. Not sure if the white primer coat was used then but it will with the yellow color.
I primed with AK Xtreme metal aluminium, put down a coat of hairspray then a coat of Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown, another coat of hairspray, then a coat of Vallejo Blue (can’t remember which one off hand). The Vallejo was thinned a bit with UMP Thinners. I left the paint to dry for a couple of days in-between each coat.
Thanks, really enjoyed beating the paint work up.
RDT1953 I’ve looked at many images on the web. It’s hard to find 2 examples the same in colour. But I’m aware of the colour change.
The issue I have now is the opacity of the yellow over the brown oxide. It will require many coast of yellow. So plan B is to hairspray the brown oxide, primer, then lay down a coat of off white and then the yellow. Hopefully I can chip through both the yellow and off white. Maybe!!
I started this MiniArt kit some years ago but got bogged down by the bazillion parts . My plan was to build it as a logging skidder. I bought a die cast 1/16 Early Cat crawler from the Antique Cat Club assuming that the color would be accurate for a new machine and indeed it did look good . Like you I planned to use the hairspray technique so I sprayed a piece of sheet styrene Tamiya Red Brown , cured for a day or two then hairspray. I then shot Tamiya Flat Yellow and much to my surprise it covered well.
If I can find the test sheet I post a picture. The Tamiya flat yellow stood well against the die cast and of course there is a lot of room for fading , etc.
Watching this with great interest- thanks for posting.