Campaign - I Like Big GUNS...And I Cannot Lie

I need to make sure i get my SU152 in the gallery. Might have to take some new pictures.
It’s been complete for months, but the pictures are not to my liking

A little more progress - more to follow :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the likes. :+1:t2:

I am calling this one done. A crew is in the making in the MiniArt campaign. After that I plan to make a diorama with it. Maybe including another Panzer ‘46 artillery piece next to it.

Comments welcome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very nice and different take on the turrets cam… I like it :+1:
Nice tone variations where it’s faded in some areas. And I like the totally different schemes between hull and turret … Great job

1 Like

Wow! Very nicely done! I know that masking was a pain. It turned out great though!

1 Like

Thanks for the comments, guys. The pixel camo is actually a decal. Quite easy to work with.

Fantastic Jesper. If I can add one thing? The outer rim on the 38T wheel rubbed the inside of the guide horns, so it did not hold paint or mud (wiped off), so it should be a dark metallic colur.

Cheers

1 Like

Peter, indeed you are right. The two B/W pictures clearly show you are right.

However, the two pictures of a refurbished reenactment Hetzer show that maybe there are exceptions, if the mud is just right and not too many turns are made.

I know I am grasping at straws here and I will remember it for my next Hetzer style running gear. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Thanks for the tip - I often forget on Panthers as well :roll_eyes:

image image image image

Yes, there is mud and then there is Mud/stucco/concrete… Where I used to live, a man could grow 3 inches just walking through a field… and developed leg muscles like you would not believe in the process!

2 Likes

I’ve built a lot of artillery in 2020. So, its time to start sharing them here.

First up is the IBG M1897 75mm Field Gun - the famous French 75 in US service between the wars.

More photos and details are in my Scalemates project at: https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=32506&p=projects&project=81967

This new forum is SO much easier to post photos to than the old forum.

Enjoy!

Rick

5 Likes

Looks real good, Rick!

Thanks for sharing!

:beer: :cowboy_hat_face:

All,

My next artillery build is a WW1 6-inch Newton Trench Mortar from Vargas Scale Models. Vargas is a one-man shop in California that specializes in obscure WW1 subjects in resin and 3-D print. The level of detail and quality is superb.

More photos and description are on the Scalemates project at: https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=32506&p=projects&project=81543

Keep modeling!

Rick

4 Likes

That came out great.

Calling my SU-152 done. Trumpeter kit for those that don’t remember. OOB. I left the hatch open for a figure i never finished.

6 Likes

Excellent builds guys. Great to see you made the finish line and with such excellent workmanship!

1 Like

I spent a lot of time this year building artillery that was used by the American Expeditionary Forces in the Great War. This is the 240mm (9.45 inch) trench mortar developed by the French and used by the French, British, Italian, and American forces. The British called it the “flying pig” due to the size of it’s projectiles. The kit is from Vargas Scale Models in California. They make accurate, detailed, high quality kits in resin and 3-D print. They focus on obscure WW1 subjects.

The kit includes some of the most delicate pieces I’ve seen. I broke the mortar base plate assembly while cleaning the part and had to scratch build the broken side.

More photos are on my Scalemates project at: https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=32506&p=projects&project=85050

Enjoy!

Rick

5 Likes

Here is another WW1 / Great War subject that I started and completed this year. This is the only artillery piece that I am aware of that has a cocktail named after it - the French 75. It was a truly revolutionary artillery weapon. It is surprising that we didn’t have a good styrene kit of this piece until 2020. IBG’s kit is excellent. The shield is a bit thick and the axles don’t reflect the toe-in stance but, it beats the heck out of the resin kits and the ancient RPM/TOM kit.

Enjoy!

Rick

6 Likes

Moving on from WW1, I also built AFV Club’s new Vietnam era M108 105mm SP howitzer and their M109 155mm howitzer. These kits are both based upon AFV Club’s excellent M1009A2 kit. Both kits build up nicely and are excellent additions to my US artillery collection.

Rounds Complete!

Rick

3 Likes

Wow! Some really fantastic builds on the finishing line!

Great builds, guys!!

Do I need to repost my finished build?

Mike (TacfireGuru)