Canadian Skink

Good luck! :+1: waiting for painting …

If your search doesn’t turn up anything, feel free to shoot me dimensions of whatever markings you like and I’ll send you some rough and ready decals :maple_leaf:

Thanks Dennis! Tried to get a hold of Archer today but no luck. I’ll give it a day or two and if no love I’ll get back to you with some dimensions.
Cheers,
Rick

The SKINK was attached to various units, never brought on strength to any of the units as it was for tactical tests and demonstrations and was pretty void of tactical/formation markings. The version deployed with the units in NWE had basic shipping markings on the turret rear sides and basic hull markings on the hull sides.
27657398_1154910301278085_6034860822532684964_n

1 Like

Here is a copy of the War Diary of the Skink unit: First 5 pages

2 Likes

Next 5:

2 Likes

Next 5:

2 Likes

Last page, uploader mixed the pages, but, here they are for reference.

2 Likes

Anthony,

WOW! Thank you so very much!! This is EXACTLY what I needed. I will also pass this on to Marcos Serra over at the Panzerserra Bunker site as well. This really does answer virtually every question that anyone has had regarding the Skink. You have made my day for sure! Thanks again my friend!!

Cheers,
Rick

Skink update.
Added some filters, brownish yellow or yellowish brown, you choose. Really very ocher like. I think it might be a bit to heavy, half way between a filter and a wash. I’m using the David Kimbrell TLAR method! I’m ready for a bit of weathering, decals, pin washes, etc. You know, the fun stuff.
Spent some time today rummaging through the Canadian Archives and found a couple of files running to who knows how many pages concerning the Skink. Of course, the actual file is not online so I am waiting for the PDF version (guessing April or May?) that might, hopefully, answer the question of which of the three Skinks was in combat, what formation sign, if any. Crossing my fingers that this plus the War Diary (thanks Anthony!) will answer all of the mysteries surrounding the Skink!

Cheers,
Rick

6 Likes

Love it Rick! Can’t wait for the next chapter.

Hey Rick that looks great! Very unusual and interesting vehicle. I have been following just haven’t posted. Paint job so far looks great.

Thanks! Appreciate you checking it out. It has been a fun one, the rarity of it makes it pretty unique for my collection of ‘normal’ Shermans!
Cheers,
Rick

posted this over on FB in the Plastic Posse Podcast M4/M3 Group Build and thought I would add it here as well.
At a stopping point with the Skink. Waiting on some archival materials from Canada that hopefully will help nail down a few more details, in particular, which track/drive sprockets and which markings? I have pretty much what I need for any contingency. Which means it will probably be something like Commonwealth pattern semi-damp track, a one of, heretofore unknown type and markings for the 1st Tank Demonstration Unit, for which no photos or drawing exist. Sounds about right!

Still need to do a bit more weathering plus I noticed in the photos that the bow MG is still green; probably wrong. Not sure I’m happy with the tools. Tried the Uncle Night Shift formula of medium gray and then some rust washes and graphite but I’m not him so…

Cheers,
Rick

4 Likes

Anthony,
Again thank you so much for that great information! I’m waiting to hear back from the Canadian Archives on a few more reports I dug up on the Skink.
I sent what I think was kind of like a personal message earlier but I may have done it incorrectly and you might not have seen it. At any rate, if you don’t mind could you contact me through the Armorama site or through my email, rickecooper@hotmail.com I would sure appreciate it.

Thanks,
Rick Cooper
rickecooper@hotmail.com

For what it’s worth Rick, I think those tools look really nice.

I know Anthony said they probably weren’t marked given their short service life, but if you’re going to the trouble of marking it for a fictional unit, I say just go ahead and mark it for one that it served with!

If you still want to go fictional, I think your best option would be to show it as a Corps or even Army level asset that was assigned to a line unit. It’ll give you the most room to play I think.

https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/markings/unitsignsarmy.htm

This’ll give you a fairly comprehensive overview of Canadian vehicle markings. Menu on the left side will take you to other formations.

That website has been a treasure trove of information for sure. I have dug through the Archives and requested a couple of files I found; one on the Skink evaluations in Lulworth and the other the evaluations made immediately post war in July/August of 1945 in Canada. I assume the Canadian evaluations were where they decided to ultimately scrap the whole project. Hopefully, I will find something that will shed a bit more light. I’d also like to find out if the one combat unit wore the CDP track or the T54E1 track. Crossing my fingers!

Cheers,
Rick

1 Like