Challenger 1 tank crewmen

Hello guys. I recently purchased 2 Challenger 1 crewmen wearing woodland camouflage and berets. My 1:16 scale RC

challenger 1 tank is in desert camouflage and I want to depict a gulf war challenger 1 tank. My question is can I use crewmen wearing woodland camouflage and berets on a gulf war challenger 1 in desert camouflage? Can any one share pictures where tank crewmen dressed this way in the gulf war? I have attached pictures for emphasis.

How about this:

Ken

Yes you can. Like in Ken’s images, individuals wore a mix of uniform for Op Granby. That was due to shortages and not having enough for everyone deployed to have a desert issue of everything. You will see a lot of DPM smocks, jackets and parka outers being worn as well as just whole DPM outfits.

I was wondering about the the actual tank you have though ? It seems a bit of a mix and match between a Ch1 and Ch2 ? It has mostly a Chally 2 hull, with a partial Chally 1 turret, and Chally 2 barrel ? Was it made like that ?

You’ll also notice a GW Challenger 1 has the uparmour package on the lower hull.

Thank you guys. This is really helpful. Would the berets be appropriate though as I see that in the pictures you guys sent, the crewmen are wearing tanker helmets not berets like the model crewmen I have.

@ Johnnych01, the tank is a heng long 1:16 scale challenger 2. I removed the original turret and fabricated a challenger 1 turret from hard cardboard. I wanted a challenger 1 but could not find it in the market so I had to convert a challenger 2 to a challenger 1. How did you figure it was a challenger 2 hull though? I thought the 2 hulls were basically the same. lol

1 Like

They are basically same to look at visually with some obvious differences … a few are, tracks are different, rear sprocket is different, rear light clusters, front side light mount, headlights, mudflaps, front of hull, Fixed FE mounts, RH rear bin on hull, hull sides etc to name a few :+1:

Thanks for the explanation. Back to the initial question, would the berets be appropriate though as I see that in the pictures you guys sent, the crewmen are wearing tanker helmets not berets like the model crewmen I have.

Not really, years ago (lots of years !!) berets use to be worn under headsets, however, crew guard helmets are now the normal wear and have been for a considerable time. So you could have desert coloured crew guard helmets worn with a DPM jacket for some variation.