Cheapest photoetch bending tool available on the market?

Hello, I’ve done some research on bending tools and quite a bit aren’t cheap, per example 40€ so I wonder if PE bending tools cheaper than 25€ exist (I’m not sure on how good tamiya tweezers are for parts like normal tank PE).
Thanks for your answers!

As usual, a steel ruler (not too long; 6"), and a single edge razor blade, on a hard surface. That’s really cheap! :grin:
:grin: :canada:

5 Likes

Exactly what I have been using for years. Also use straight nose tweezers and a small needle nose pliers. Seems to work for about 90% on my needs. And yes cheap.

2 Likes

I also have a Mission Models folder, but I prefer the cheaper alternative as it takes less space, and the ruler and blade have multiple functions - measuring, and cutting!
:grin: :canada:

1 Like

Like @Armorsmith, an inexpensive pair of smooth jaw pliers have been my primary photo-etch bending tool for 30+ years.

A few years ago I picked up The-bug-hold-fold from the Small Shop it’s very good for folding smaller parts with razor blade. Holds parts a bit more securely than the pliers in some cases. It was fairly expensive but proved worth the cost in my opinion.

7 Likes

I am a huge fan of The Bug from The Small Shop. Great tool!

4 Likes

in my opinion - when working with photo-etched parts, there is no need to save. buy a good tool for example from DISPAE or MasterTools.

2 Likes

Buy a good one like the bug.
Don’t go cheap and I include Master tools in this as the top plate will invariably bend and will clamp nothing as the material is too soft. Either stick with a steel ruler or pliers or buy a quality tool.

6 Likes

Someone once told me “Buy the best you can afford and you won’t be quite as disappointed.”
I too have had excellent results with The Bug. Is very versatile for multiple bends. If you are only going to bend PE a couple of times for the rest of your modeling career, metal ruler and pliers. IMO, if you are going to build and build and build, spend the extra for a good tool.

2 Likes

It’s for tanks kit like border model tiger I I need one (I know the kit itself has been criticized, but I want a bit of a challenge too) or meng T90.

+1 for the Hold & Fold Bug. Highest quality and speediest usage for the money. Most versatile folding tool on the market. Beware of imitations from Asia with composite parts - they will wear, bend, and fail on you. The Bug is an investment that will last you forever.

4 Likes

As noted, Dspiae is probably the best model tool manufacturer out there right now, at least in my opinion. While I don’t have their PE bending tools (they make both a regular and small size one), I have many of their other tools and all are extremely well made and worth the money spent on them. They have a company store on AliExpress (one of the few things that you can buy on Ali that are not counterfeit or fakes!).

Adding to the Hold & Fold Bug comments, if enjoying the build matters the Bug is an A+ investment.

Personally, I pretty much detested working with a lot of photo-etch parts over the years until I got the Bug. Basically, turned bending a piece of PE with multiple folds from a dreary task with pliers into a fun little exercise with the new tool.

4 Likes

Cheapest PE bending tool:

A flat surface plus a heavy metal straight edge.

Should I take the small trumpeter tool if I’m going to use it for parts like these

source https://www.super-hobby.fr/products/T-90-Russian-MBT-w-TBS-86-Tank-Dozer.html

I think SSGToms had already addressed that.

As stated above buying a Bug once & done seems most logical to me.

2 Likes