Chester Special NX 93-Y “The Goon” - Dekno Models 1:72

Hi everyone,
I’m starting to assemble this kit:

by Rodolfo Masti, on Flickr

to make the Chester Special NX 93-Y “The Goon”

Source: http://www.pilotspost.co.za

A brief history:

Built by Art Chester in 1938, The Goon, (Chester named his planes after characters in the Popeye comic strip) was the second plane built by Chester to compete in the National Air Races.
His first plane, The Jeep, was a successful racer, but by 1937 it did not have the speed to compete.
The Goon was a small streamlined racer that was built tightly around its small but powerful engine.
At the 1938 National Air Races, The Goon, piloted by Art Chester finished a close second in the Greve Trophy Race, but he was forced to drop out of that year’s Thompson Trophy Race because of mechanical problems.
Pleased with the performance of The Goon, Chester brought it to the 1939 National Air Races where he won the Greve Trophy setting a new record for the race at an average speed of 263.39 miles per hour.
The aircraft was used after the 1939 Air Races in a 20th Century film entitled “Tailspin.”
A red ring was added around the number 5 on the plane for the film.
Bought and sold by several different owners and modified over the years, The Goon was finally purchased by the Crawford Collection in 1991 and returned to Cleveland.
Source:Western Reserve Historical Society

If you are interested here a video about the 1939 Cleveland National Air Race

A quick look inside the box:

Any further information or picture is welcome.

3 Likes

Great choice, will be following :smile:

Interiors assembled and painted
I have only one issue … the pieces are difficult to manage cause the kit is extremely small and mine hands are too big… :grinning:

1 Like

Kit assembled …
I gave a first coat of primer to highlight the various imperfections … cause the assembly was not without difficulties…

Puttying and re-engraving panels was a bit complicated for me by the size of the kit.
After various trials this color, which is a mix between H313 Yellow FS 33531 and H329 Yellow FS13538 (2:1), seems to me quite similar to the original.

2 Likes

What a little gem :smile:

The kit before a little weathering …
I’m not very satisfied but I tried to do my best …

1 Like

The “Goon” on the field …

1 Like

Looks great Rodolfo :grinning:Must have been a tricky aircraft to land with the poor forward visibility…