Chevrolet Panther

This is the DML Ersatz M10 which is of course a Panther G. The model was done as B7 which ended up in front of the Chevrolet sign. The two figures were given heads from American soldiers to add to the idea they were being Americans during the attacks trying to take Malmedy.
Dak

13 Likes

Awesome!
Ken

1 Like

@tanstaafler giving me some ersatz ideas now! This is awesome, well done!

2 Likes

I didn’t know what you meant by the title until I saw the sign.
Clever!

1 Like

We-elll …
" Production of 4,993 M10s by the Fisher Body division of General Motors at the Fisher Tank Arsenal in Grand Blanc, Michigan ran from September 1942 through December 1943. Ford Motor Company built 1,038 M10A1s from October 1942 until September 1943.[11] From September to November 1943, Fisher built the remaining 375 M10A1s."

General Motors built slightly more than 83% of all the M10 and M10A1’s produced (all of the M10’s actually) so Chevrolet in the title is appropriate even without the sign

1 Like

Is the tank intended to look wet and shiny? Is it raining?

Lovely dio but perhaps needs a bit of matte varnish, sprayed on very dry to murder that shine.

Apologies Robin but . . . .

You need to do some research on the Battle of the Bulge. Wet and cold was common. You didn’t question the uniforms or the cold weather gear. If you bothered to check photos, you will find the weather was foggy and cloudy which gave the Nazis a bit of starting advantage.

Doing the entire model flat or particularly glossy depends on the individual. I base my work on personal experience and the time period. I have been around many tanks which look very glossy in wet weather.

Dak

1 Like

The "name’ was not based on who built it, but under the sign where it was parked after being knocked out.

2 Likes

NO offense intended but . . .

I certainly know what a wet Sherman looks like but if this Panther is wet from rain then why is there no sheen on the roadway or chewed up grass and mud surrounding it? No puddles?

In its current state this vehicle looks more like a cold war US armor paint job that has been just newly rubbed down with motor oil to give it that “semi-gloss” parade ready look of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Reference:
These two beauties as seen below had spent the last two days slogging thru wet fields
plus sitting thru a heavy rain the night before.

1022_23

Plus:
1023_24

All photos © Mike Koenig ~ Patton Museum Event

1 Like

You obviously aren’t very good at your observation. The road is glossy and simply not shown well in the photo. One of the best techniques I uses over the past forty years is to apply brown pastels in a carried of clear gloss with the airbrush. None such work I have ever enter in a contest has not won an award.

Dak

I seem to have struck a nerve!

Was not my intent.

However, I give you clear, observable photographs of the real thing and the real road as seen in the rain and still you argue.

I suspect you are most likely upset because I dared to criticize Robin’s otherwise rather nice model work here but I am doing nothing different than he did just today criticizing some 1/35th 3D printed Fordson tractors and I agreed with him on his comment there.

No, you are just a lackwit making an untrue point to satisfy yourself. Don’t worry, you put me off the kit maker posting, so I won’t anymore. This will be may last post here.

Dak

Seems a tad extreme.

1 Like

Wahhh :sob:

165thspc is just a rude lackwit and I don’t need pompous cowans to deal with when I know I’m correct. I have been building models for 65 years. I’ve been in Tigers, Panthers, T-34, and KV-1, even a JagdTiger, and even once commanded a T-34/85 for about ten minutes. By my standards he is just an amateur.

Dak

Wait, I thought you said your previous post would be your last?

1 Like

He cant help himself

Sounds like our resumes are fairly similar:

Been modeling since 1956. Have driven WWII Halftracks, Armored Cars, Command Cars and Stuarts. Was for a short while the primary recovery driver on the M578. Have driven several 113’s and was TC on a Sherman for an entire day and loader for another. Also have driven the Sd.Kfz. 10. Am a lifelong photographer (both professional and hobbyist.) My photographs have been published and I have co-authored several military vehicle profiles.(i.e. Books)
Oh, and I have helped design a number of 3D model projects for the industry.

So tans . . . what exactly is your boggle?

Oh and . . .
p.s. I have been in, cleaned/helped restore, Stuarts, Shermans, Pz. III, Pz. IV, Hetzer, Stug III, Jagdpanzer IV, Renault WW I, RSO, Kettenkrad, Halftracks (US and German), Jeeps, CCKW, DUKW, Seeps, VC-1, Swimwagon, Kubel, M20 Armored Car, M113, M578, M728, M10.

I was on the 2 man crew that rewired como in one Stuart and 2 Shermans FROM SCRATCH using NOS parts taken out of their original WWII boxes (while using my Father’s tools that previously worked on B-24s.)

So if that makes me a; what did you call me??? “a rude lackwit, pompous cowan” then I guess I am guilty. But please know it is I who question YOUR standards AND you level of rudeness!

p.p.s. I also have 300+ hours in the restoration of a '43 Ford Jeep and 9+ years as a Patton Museum Volunteer.

So . . . sod off Mate!

1 Like

Just two old farts in a pissing contest I guess?

1 Like

That’s just his M.O. I’ve had words with him before over on the IPMS Forum. He likes to argue, and then throw personal insults when facts inconvenience him. IIRC, he was a sailor, so any experience around military vehicles that he may have wasn’t from being in the service.

Nowadays I just keep him on the ignore setting.