Chieftain Mk. 10 British Berlin Infantry Brigade

Hey

In the Tankograd British Speciel No. 9001.

British Infantry Brigade Berlin.

Page 19 to 30 colour photo of the Chieftain Mk. 10 Berlin Camo

photo page 27 show the engine deck painted BROWN.

text: View from the turret rear onto the engine deck. The whole area is painted brown.

1 Like

Hi (from the author :wink: )

After lots of discussions on modeller forums regarding the colour of the engine deck I asked at the Fb group on the Berlin armoured sqn, in which I am a member. There are a lot of ex British soldiers in this group who served during the periode of time in which this urban camouflage was used (starting 1983 until the end). Different units had been deployed there within that time frame. Absolutely all answering members stated that the decks were always brown regardless of the unit being deployed. Personally, I never encountered a Chieftain there with green decks. I would rely on the ex servicemen who served on these tanks!

And yes, after an exercise on SLTA, and meeting them afterwards at the camp at Reinsehlen, the tanks very REALLY dirty. Anyway, close to none chance to get so dirty in Berlin!

Andreas

3 Likes

I too remember them as only having brown engine decks, but then I only saw three of them and it was all at one time. Iā€™ve posted the last surviving photo I took on this forum before. I had five or six at one point, but over the years loaned photos to ā€œfriendsā€ and never got them back. Before the days of digitization. :frowning:

As for the dirty - yeah, I never saw one that dirty. But then I havenā€™t seen everything. Lotta green if you ever look at a map of Berlin. The Brits trained in wooded areas just as we did, in spite of their cool camouflsge. I do know what a tank looks like that has been driving on a wet, possibly salty street though, and thatlook isnā€™t far off.

1 Like

Well done. One of my favourite schemes too. Hats off to anyone who takes it on!

I painted the deck green on mine, and although corrected on here by the actual bonafide expert, thanks @AKirchhoff, didnā€™t repaint it, much to my regret ever since. However I do have the Meng kit in the stash now and that will have a brown engine deck!

1 Like