Chieftain Mk. 10 British Berlin Infantry Brigade

Hey.
My Takom Chieftain Mk. 10. in the Berlin Brigade camo. used a lot of Tamiya tape, have tried to give it some city dirt.
Best regards
Kjeld

26 Likes

Looks great!

That had to be quite challenging to do the camo. Very sweet!

1 Like

Excellent camo job! Great build and nice weathering.

1 Like

Very nice job on that camo! One of my favorite camo patterns. I did one several years ago and it was tough but worth all the time.

1 Like

Love it!
I bought a Tamiya Mk.5 a while ago with this in mind… but elas. Wrong vehicle.

2 Likes

Yeah I used the Tamiya lower hull with the Accurate Armour conversion kit.

2 Likes

Good to know!

Tamiya Mk. 5 in the stash, had thought about trying this camo on it! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Thank you, RonW.

2 Likes

Yeah, turns out the Berlin brigade did not use Mk.5’s. So it’ll have to be a BOAR-tank with green/black instead. Or one of their training vehicle in Canada with sand and green pattern.

3 Likes

Very, very nice job. I saw these in person back in the day. Thankfully you did not fall for the color guide telling you to do the engine deck in green.

By the way, no Chieftains were ever used in the Berlin Brigade. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wonderful ! One of the most epic cold war warriors in his most outstanding “dress”.
My standard green/black Mk. 5 looks very inconspicuous next to this beauty. I need to try this too …

1 Like

Kjeld, looks great and that is a time consuming job but you have certainly put the effort into it and its a good look mate … Not picking anything up to be a PIA, but if you ever do build another Chieftain there are a few things I saw which I will mention the obvious ones to me …
Theres no GUE exhaust fitted ? It should be above the main RH side exhaust ? not sure if it fell off ?
Not sure if the Comd spot light has its lens fitted ? It would either be clear or have the IR cover in place.
The rear reflectors should be on the outside of the rear mudguards, not on the inside.
Also, the rear mudguards seem an odd shape at the sides ?

Other than that, its a great build and a really nice finished scheme … as Rob alluded to and the name … the tanks were part of the Berlin Infantry Brigade Armoured Squadron … :+1:

1 Like

Well, if you refer to the “Berlin Brigade” which was a US unit, you are right. The British Berlin Infantry Brigade was the equivalent, and they used Chieftain from Mk9 to Mk10 Stillbrew in that colour, in “Berlin Armoured Squadron”.

You might know that pictures exist of a M60 in urban camouflae as well, but this was not rolled out over the fleet of M60 in Berlin.

3 Likes

That is, indeed what I’m referring to! I was in the Berlin Brigade, and I don’t remember any Chieftains. :slight_smile:

I know how people like to be historically accurate on the site.

2 Likes

Ve seen this discussed before elsewhere and the advice with weathering was do not do much.
The Brigade took a strong pride in their vehicles and they were cleaned regularly and paint touched up as necessary

2 Likes

Hey, thanks a lot for your remarks.

First, My model show a Chieftain Mk. 10 of the British Infantry Brigade Berlin, from the British Armoured Squadron in Berlin.
My model do not show a tank partisipating in the “Queen´s Birthday Parade” But show at tank in war / in action. Have seen photo of the Berlin Camo, Chieftain Mk. 9/C very dirty in Soltau-Fallingbostel Training area (Page 8 in Tankograd the British Infantry Brigade Berlin).
Yes my model do not have the GUE exhaust, and the CMD spotlight lens, and the position light on the right fender, they are in the belly of the Carpet monster. Will be fixed later.
Best regards
Kjeld

2 Likes

You’re right. Berlin Brigade was U.S.
Found a list of British units stationed in Berlin: British army regiments deployed in West-Berlin

1 Like

I’ve read many posts about this camo scheme on Chieftains & there’s a lot of discussion about the engine deck colour. Were they indeed dark brown like the brown used in the camo or, as I have seen in some posts, black?

1 Like

They were brown. I imagine at some time there might have been a green one, 'cos never say never.

6 Likes

That’s the pic I used as reference for mine, I believe it’s from the Tankograd book and probably elsewhere, but it clearly shows brown. Not that there couldn’t have been one painted green but that’s what I went with.

1 Like

As Max said … Brown decks 99% of the time … But there’s always that 1% like he mentions that could of sneaked through as a 1 off green one …

Now I have seen you build this mk 10 Kjeld, I’m thinking I may do my Mk11 I have as my next build …:+1:

3 Likes