Chipping and Weathering; What's too much? Examples

This is an off shoot of Rak’s topic on how much weathering and chipping is appropriate.
I think posting examples would be helpful for the discussion.
Here is an abandoned tank. Look at the amount of chipping and rust.

Compare the ratio of chipping to dust ratio.

Destroyed WW2 tank

Here is a tank that has had not had a paint job in at least 30 years and is set to become a range target. When you see a model with faded paint, keep that in mind.

Abandoned tank from Vietnam.

WW2 Panzer IV

Chipping or rust?

Chipping?

Chipping,rust?

Stains yes

A rusty range target
Here is a tank that has not been painted in 70 years awaiting restoration.

This was last maintained in "67 or "73 before being abandoned. Last time it could have been painted was almost 50 years ago.

4 Likes

Now here are some operational AFVs in wartime

Vietnam

Korea

WWII

Mud, dirt, & dust everywhere, but minimal chipping or rust to be seen.

7 Likes

True… unfortunately, many modellers take as reference other models instead of real photos. And I have seen tanks abandoned for 30 years in better shape than some models of WWII “in service” tanks…

7 Likes

I think chipping effects are over done myself. I mostly build my models into dioramas and alot of chipping on a in service model is probably not likely. However I feel that only holds true on the base color and not on camouflage or winter camouflage paint. So I primarily only chip the camouflage outer paint. But I will say it does give a model alot of depth and adds details and it does make a model look good so I don’t really judge ether way.

1 Like

I build ships, and these live in salt water to rusting is far more likely than on AFVs. If you look at the pic of the LCT(5) with Shermans tanks you can see the rust in the supporting brackets of the bulwarks but not on the flat areas between. The bridge has no rust either. with ships the rust starts in crevices and stains the paint below it as the water carries the stain downwards, or the sea or dock or another ship chips or gouges a lump out of the paint. I dislike too much rust, even landing craft tried to keep the ship tidy, rust can be so easily overdone.

1 Like

Thank You for the wonderful pictures. They are beautiful.

You’re quite welcome Gary. I love finding and saving original wartime color photos…. Although the Soviet AFVs below are not “in wartime”, especially the T-64s

2 Likes

Muddy tanks

Too much mud, don’t go there…

There wasn’t much chipping or rusting on the previous tanks…

1 Like

Muddy?

1 Like

Many thanks for all the uploads. They confirm my theory about healthy balance of chips and dust.
It is a goldmine for any AFV modeler!!!