Choosing a Jagdpanther

Takom, Meng, RFM, and Dragon all make Jadgpanthers. Dragon and Takom makes the G1 with zimm and I believe they are the only ones that do. My assumption that all these companies make good jadgpanther kits due to the lack of complaints on Armorama. In choosing one of the many kits available,…is there one that you might not choose? Price is not a concern. I am looking for accuracy, fit.
Thanks for your thoughts.

1 Like

For accuracy, fit, engineering, and detail, I would choose the RFM kit. If I wanted zimmeritt I would add an Atak zimmeritt set.

2 Likes

Im partial to Dragon,i’ve built the early with molded on zimm,thought it looked good,I gave you the pics in your other post.I also build the late.The kits were 6458,and I can’t remember what the G2 was,but it was earlier when they were cheaper and had more extras in the box but they are detailed and build up great,and as a novice modeler,mever had any problems with construction.

1 Like

Haven’t built any of the new Jagd-kitties yet but have the kits from RFM, Dragon, Meng & Takom. If I could only build one, I’d pick RFM.

RFM & Dragon kits made best impression on me between written and video reviews. My gripe with Meng being their kit track’s number of parts and clean up. The Takom kit just failed to impress as well as the others. I’m sure all can build up very nice.

I’ve like all three RFM kits I’ve built better than any of the ~30 to 40 Dragon kits I’ve built. Others may have different preferences etc.

2 Likes

I know Dragon excelled on their German armor that was why I added them to the list. The photo’s you sent looked good.

2 Likes

I have some Takom kits in the stash and liked their detail, however I did not have anyone else’s kit of the same type vehicle to compare it to.

1 Like

Just be mindful, Dragon/DML re-issued the old Gunze Sangyo kit under their Imperial label #9012 and #9016. They are not the best.

2 Likes

I have an RFM kit on my stash. It’s the 5031 kit which does not include the full interior.

The 5022 kit has the full interior.

1 Like

And still the Tamyia Jagdpanther builds into a nice cat, fits perfectly and is quite cheap.

6 Likes

Yes,i forgot about that one,heres someone doing one in my group build, looks good.

1 Like

Top,
I’ve actually been pondering the same question. The one that comes with all of the options that I preferred—correct early square pattern zimmerit, metal barrel, PE, and Indy links—and came up with this as my best option:

One manufacturer had 3 piece track links. Meng, I think. Others would have a metal barrel, but no zimm., etc.

2 Likes

That does come with magic tracks for easy assembly. Choice of 2 metal barrels. I think the tooling was from 2007?

1 Like

Admin: Why is this Jagdpanther thread posted in the “Allied” section?

Am I mistaken in thinking the G2 did not have zimm?

1 Like

You’re correct; the G2s do’t have zimmerit.

1 Like

I’ve built the Tamiya and the Meng and can honestly say the Meng is one of the nicest kits I’ve built in the scale. All their Panthers are excellent to be fair.

You can pick up the Meng G for under forty quid delivered from China and its superb value at that pricepoint. Lots of PE, good (if time-consuming) tracks, excellent detail, no issues with production flaws or sink marks, flash etc, and pretty good accuracy to my eye. Lots of options too. Really enjoyed it. They build up lovely.

5 Likes

No Top you’re not mistaken; the G2 did not have Zimmeritt.

The magic track on panthers and jagdpanthers has its drawback. the holes are too small for the sprocket so they give you an extra 8 multipiece track links with bigger holes to assemble over each sprocket, and those are both a pain and very difficult to get a good fit on as 8 is barely enough to cover the sprocket. Not really a big bonus in my opinion.

3 Likes

Dragon created problems and a Dragon inspired solution! What’s not to love!

Does filing out the track tooth holes in a couple of magic track links help?

1 Like

I did give it a half hearted attempt, but wasn’t successful. I also tried shaving the sprocket teeth down, but ended up going with aftermarkets in the end

2 Likes