Choosing a P-40 for Pearl Harbor

I am thinking of building a P-40 at Pearl harbour, specifically one of the ones that got airborne (George Welch’s bird). I want to depict it right as it’s pulling off wheeler field.

I am wondering what the best kit is for this? I have been looking at both the bronco and airfix P-40B. Has anyone built the Airfix kit?

2 Likes

The Airfix kit has nice wheels.

That’s good! Think it’s good overall? I’ve been looking for a P-40 for a while, it’s one of my favourite early war birds

Here is a review of the Bronco: Brono P-40B
A member posted this comment:

Taking into consideration all the inaccuracies, the purchase of this kit is IMHO wasting money, despite its engine. Ridiculous cockpit and shape of canopy, canvas surfaces (corrected a little), wrongly shaped rudder and tailplane, wrongly angled strengthening ribs in the wheel wells, poor quality and wrong colors on decals (especially in British Tomahawk Mk II edition) in a modern kit with such a high price is unacceptable. I will not spend so much money to buy this kit only to take the engine to install it in Airfix kit. The rest can go to the trash bin. Airfix wins here. Sorry Bronco. Since we have Airfix, your kit is wasting time and ammo.

Review of the Airfix P-40B

Finally, a built Trumpeter P-40B

2 Likes

Good to know, ive read the airfix reviews and aside from the punch marks, most of which are hidden it seems pretty good! It’s also a good deal at a few stores around me, plus I need to order paint. I’ll look at the trumpeter review as well.

1 Like

It comes down to what project you want build. Then go with it.

Great wall hobby are currently producing a Flying Tigers Curtis Hawk 81a-2 in 1/32 and from the renders and preproduction kit images looks eyewateringly nice.

1 Like

Although I have yet to build it I have the Airfix kit in the stash . I read all the reviews and it would seem the Airfix kit beats the Bronco and even the older Hasegawa kit is better as well . If you need me to I can dig it out & take some pics of the sprues - LMK

1 Like

I am building the Airfix kit right now. It is very nice. I little fiddly with the cowling but otherwise has gone together quite well. Good detail also. Just needs a harness if you don’t use the pilot figure, though he is bundled up for cold weather.

1 Like

That’s good to know! Think I’ll go that route! A store around me has it and the paint I need in stock, and I really want a Pearl harbour variant. Sounds like I’ll need a new pilot figure though!

@RDT1953 thanks for the offer but no need to dig the kit out!

1 Like