CN-75 vs. Panther barrel length?

This may be a question nobody cares about, but I gotta ask, mainly since I have one IDF M-50 Sherman in progress and parts for two more ready to go. Given that both RB’s and DEF Models barrels are out of production and long gone, AND that that particular gun was derived from the Panther’s gun, what are the chances the actual barrels were similar enough to pass for each other in 1/35 scale?
I’ve checked the gun tube in a couple of AMX-13 kits are they’re too short by an inch. The supplied barrels in both Dragon’s and MP Models M-50 kits are nearly oval in cross section.
If I had a Panther kit handy I’d check, but I don’t. I’m thinking someone here may have one and be able to take a quick measurement. If so, thanks in advance!
Pic below shows 3 3/4" of barrel showing, with another half inch or so in the mantlet. It’s an old RB barrel, one of two I snagged years ago at a show somewhere.
IMG_4163 by Russel Baer, on Flickr

2 Likes

I think I recall a similar topic at the old forums, do a search there, you might find some good info. I will check FB, the conversation might had happened there, will post any info.

3 Likes

Hi Russ, not sure if this help in any way, but this is an old Tamiya Panther G barrel…
Measuring from here …

To the start of the muzzle brake

It’s 99mm

3 Likes

That could work!

1 Like

I have that one and another sat in the spares box if you cant source one closer to you mate.

2 Likes

I appreciate it, just found the Tamiya metal barrel and breech set on Amazon for $10. It’s on the way… I should have it tomorrow night so I’ll post up pics ASAP.
This is for a long-shelved M-50 project using left-over parts and a Dragon M4 Composite I built maybe 20 years ago and “retired” after it was damaged in a move. If the Panther barrel works, which I think it will, I’ll order another one and then I can get started on something I’ve wanted to do for ages, a proper M-50 on an -A4 hull, w/ HVSS and a 3-piece final drive cover. I have all the goodies together now, except for a gun tube. In my most humble opinion, the existing kits (Dragon and MP Models) are both close but no banana. I will however use the MP hull. It’s pretty good and just needs some finer detail parts to be really good.

1 Like

The M-50 is the most difficult Sherman build to do. There is no complete-decent kit to work with, most aftermarket is hard to find, mainly the DEF turret and gun, most versions need to be built from Frankenprojects by combinig 3-4 kits in order to get one M-50.

I just found a Def barrel in the stash, do you need measurements?

1 Like

Nikos-
The Tamiya barrel showed up a few minutes ago and it will work. I may need to neck down the base a bit but the most important dimensions are good. Pic below, all I’ll need to do is take the taper all the way to the base.
IMG_4166 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
For my M-50 build I’ll be using Tamiya suspension from an M-51 kit, the hull and some parts from the MP Models M-50, a Tamiya 3-piece final drive cover from the older M-4 (Early) kit. I have lots of parts from Dragon, Academy, Tamiya and MP for engine covers, exhaust parts and rear plate details. Since the DEF turret is unobtanium, I’ll use a very very nice turret from Greg Beuchler, “beekster”, that’s been set aside for just this project. Second choice on the turret would be the MP kit turret, it’s pretty good too. I have a set of RFM tracks which I hope have enough extra links to do the long hull, and various detail bits and pieces from Tamiya, Academy and Dragon to finish it out. I’ll start with the lower hull and running gear, actually my favorite part of most any armor build.
All I need to do now is finish the four or five projects presently cluttering my bench…

3 Likes

Do a “m-50” search in the Arab Israeli Wars FB group. You will find some great builds and lots of info in the post comments.

3 Likes

Will do.

1 Like