Colors and Finish on US Army WWII Pioneer Tools

A topic that comes up with some frequency is about the colors and painting of US Army WWII pioneer tools on soft skins and AFVs. While following the breadcrumbs on an entirely different research subject, I came across this info:

Research on US Army WWII Shovels and Axes

Perhaps not the definitive, 100% conclusive answer that everyone might hope for, but still quite enlightening and based on a study of the original source documents and contemporary evidence.

Thought some others might find it interesting.

4 Likes

On WWII vehicles, I go one of two ways, either OD, or the hardware store look of varnished wood and black painted metal bits, both suitably worn and weathered. Photos support both looks.
For Cold War/modern I go with firsthand personal experience and again either the hardware store look, or the stuff repainted with GI black and green spray paint typical after every field exercise.

3 Likes

What I found most interesting in the copies of the original specification documents (pre-war and wartime) were the instructions for finishing both the wooden handles and the metal parts. This provides a pretty clear picture on what “factory fresh” pioneer tools should have looked like.

(After delivery, issue and put into service is another matter.)

I leave it to the individual to read through the articles (link at the end of the shovel article to one on the axes) to reach his or her own conclusions about how to apply the info.

1 Like

Here’s a nice Ordnance Corps photo of all what goes into and onto a M4 Sherman… looks like the pioneer tools have a nice coat of OD…

Certainly not the last word on the subject, but if you’re hurrying up to finish before the next contest or club meeting… :wink:

and of course how they would look a bit more used during a layout inspection… some things never change….

4 Likes

I pity, the link in the original post is gone… I get both a certificate error and a 404… :frowning:

1 Like

It worked fine for me just now…

1 Like

Edit: strange… Edge does open the page…

1 Like

Perhaps check the security level settings on your browser. The page shows up on my computer as “not secured,” but it still loads and opens.

1 Like

As stated above, Edge does open the page correctly. Chrome refuses…

1 Like

Firefox, which is my default browser opened it right up, and when I opened a Chrome session and copied and pasted the link, it also opened immediately.

Sounds like some sort of security setting issue.

1 Like

That guy, or the audience he is addressing, really does not seem to understand how government procurement worked, otherwise he would not be so surprised or declarative that there were no “jeep” shovels or that government specifications for hardware and tools were often based on existing items rather than created from a blank sheet of paper.

He says, “I have yet to see- in any G503 wartime SNL, ORD7 8 9, or TM, a description of a shovel.” but here’s a snip of TM 9-803 from February 1944:

When specifications are cited in contracts, it is merely necessary to provide the specification and any qualifiers that specification requires to get the desired item. A description is not needed in contracts, let alone in technical manuals or SNLs where users work with part or stock numbers that have already been assigned. To put it bluntly, the vehicle operator doesn’t need to know a full description of the tool because he has all he needs to order one.

Nevertheless, many TMs include tool descriptions, if they do not cite a specification or drawing, they invariably use a description that is aligned with those in the applicable Federal tool specifications of the time. Thus, it is generally quite easy to determine what a “standard” shovel or ax was. I’m not as familiar with QMC-procured material like trucks before 1943, but I believe the QMC had their own catalog of standard tools. I have no doubt that the contracts for the design of the 1/4-ton 4X4 included either a reference to that catalog or to a Federal specification.

I have many of these specifications, covering shovels, axes, pick mattocks, mattock handles, and pry bars. Many of them were hastily modified during the war to expedite production or to modify requirements, often by issuing an edited version under a new designation, which is what I suspect 41-A-1277 and 41-S-3170 are. (Incidentally the 41 in the designation is not the year of issue but the group identifier of the items covered by the specification, i.e Class 41, Hand Tools.). A case in point is that in the main Federal Specifications wooden handles were and aren’t painted, for two reasons. First, paint can be used to hide rejectable defects in the wood and second, paint can cause blisters when the the tools are used with bare hands while waxed or oiled finishes won’t. Nevertheless, hand tools with painted handles are well-known and they were certainly procured by the US Army, so something changed.

KL

3 Likes

One thing you can absolutely be certain of. There are going to be units which have plain wood handles and there are going to be units which required that the handles be painted.

Just because there is a regulation or TM or TB which says this is how they SHOULD be has NO bearing on how units are going to do things in the field.

1 Like

If a waxed/oiled handle isn’t causing blisters, the user isn’t working hard enough!

3 Likes