Coming Trumpeter 1/16th. Late Tiger I

I jest saw this on the Hobby Easy web site.
I thought some might be interested.
According to the site it’s due for release 03/08/ 2024
It looks like a partial interior with clear top parts and a U.S. Dollar price about $200
TRU00945

Is that March 8 or August 3?

David

Correction that is 2024/03/06 Which is March 6, 2024
Regards
Donald

Fore those of you who don’t go to China.

Hummm two different colors of plastic , I wonder if they Up-dated Andys Tiger or if it is all new tooling.
Regards
donald

4 Likes

Sounds and looks great,but I only have so much room for 1/16 :face_exhaling:

1 Like

Hey Guys The Tiger is in stock now.
I just ordered one.
Here’s the deal.

Sprue Brothers
$416.49 Plus Shipping and Tax

Hobby Easy
$200.13
$150.00 Airmail No Tax
$350.13 Total

So who do you think has the better Buy?

I mean $350.13 compared to $416.49
That’s a difference of $66.36 .

Regards
Donald

2 Likes

It turns out that the package is too large and heavy to send the regular way , so they asked aboit using a courier service for a little over $191 . I canceled the order as that’s not much different than Sprue Brothers price. I think that I’ll just wait and see if Andy comes out with a late tiger. I’m not that crazy about the interiors on armor models.
Regards
Donald

4 Likes

You can see clearly in those pics the hazards of using liquid cement to fix stuff to clear parts.

1 Like

Well I screwed up I should have kept the order from China .
Hobby Easy had it for $200.03 with $191 for the courier shipping
for a total of $391.03 I canceled the order, because I wasn’t going to get it.
Later I changed my mind and ordered it from Sprue Brothers The kit was $416.99 with free shipping only about $25.96 difference , right NO Sprue Brothers charges sales tax which adds another $25 .
The whole kit with tax came to $449.99 I paid about $58 more than from China.
Here are the Box and its size and weight if you are interested.

It weighs 14.6 pounds according to my bathroom scale.
877mm. long = 34.5"
465mm. wide = 18 3/8"
180mm. thick = 7 1/4"

I’ll be doing a build here eventually , I’m just waiting for Attack Models to release a Zimmerit set for it.
Regards
Donald

3 Likes

Donald I’ll be watching this one with great interest, as I’ll never own it. I have about 6 1/16 scale kits, all recent, but once a kit hits the $200 mark, it’s beyond my budget. Good luck with this one; enjoy a great build!

1 Like

Thanks for the relative “interior” shots. $450 (!!) Whew…but looks like a great kit. I’ll be saving up and get it as a designated “One and only year long project!” Only real way to justify the expense. Just have to see if and when itll get a bit cheaper. Super thanks on the show!

1 Like

Great buy(if you don’t look at price!) LOL! Is there a possibility that youll be giving us a read out as to the interior(quality, accuracy and if it looks like a crew would actually fit). If I’m am going to spend this amount, I’d like some ideas as to what “mom and pop” extras I’ll be forced to buy. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I’m just waiting for someone to come out with a 1/16th. Zimmerit set for it.
This is way too expensive a kit to try doing the Zimmerit myself.
Maby ATAK MODELS will eventually do one.
I see on their web site that they have a set for the flooring of Trumpeters 251 Halftrack.
Regards
Donald

1 Like

I love the idea of it, conceptually. I just don’t think I’ve got anywhere to put the bloody thing when I’ve built it.

One thing I learned from the Das Werk 16th scale StuG III was that my expectations on time were misjudged. I figured being four the size it would take twice as long as a 35th StuG but weirdly the opposite was true: it actually took less time to complete than its 35th scale counterpart.

Cleanup is easier and less fiddly on the bigger scale, there is less flash, seam lines are there but easier to see and deal with, the tracks are easier to deal with and take less time to put together as they are much less fiddly, there’s almost no PE of any real significance to slow you down, not much in the way of stowage to sort out and priming with a rattle can doesn’t take appreciably longer.

I’m not into interior kits so I’d build this “clothed” if that makes sense, and may spring for a 16th scale Panzer Commander figure to bring it to life, but I reckon I could make one of these happen in about the same time as a 35th scale one. Give me a month and I’ll get a decent result with it, I’m sure.

That being the case $450 is a wee bit steep. Not saying no, just not fully sold on it.

$450 buys a lot of 35th scale goodies…

3 Likes

Takom has a 1/16th. figure of Otto Carius available separate from a kit.
Note Takom has a set of 2 Tiger 1s coming out , with them is a 1/16th. figure of Wittmann.
It’s an easy bet that with the 1/16th. wittmann figure that they release a later 1/16th. scale Tiger 1 kit in the mid . or late version . All you need is a few extra parts added to their early kit and you have the mid. version . steel wheels and a few mor parts and you have the late model.
Of course David whould know more about this than I do.
Regards
Donald

1 Like

Er… to take a Tiger kit from “Early” to the very first “Mid”, you need a new turret shell. Because it’s a different shape at the lower front area, and also has a different pistol port.
The cupola is not a drop-in replacement : it is moved slightly and is bigger. The ventilator is moved. So you need a new turret roof as well. That’s the entire turret body to be replaced.

And then you need to consider if you will move things forward and cover the later versions of “Mid Tiger” which have even more changes - including different tracks.

David

1 Like

I figured as much , not an easy task.
Regards
Donald

1 Like

So, when I was in my teens, I would build kit during the year, and then blow them up over the 4th of July. You firecrackers, sandbox, big armor battle…

Well you know the drill. Now when i build a kit, it comes out so much better I don’t want to blow it up! God Bless my wife for letting me display these works of art in family spaces.

I have 2 1/16 kits, a T34, and a Stug III. man, they take up a lot of room! Just not sure I can blow them up. (yet)

1 Like

Luckily I have an iKea wall unit(s) that I have a Tiger1, M10, PzKpw III, Stug III, PzKpw II that fit very well with several other 1/35 scale. Thanks to an understanding wife…Yeah !

4 Likes

Donald, thanks for sharing information on the Trumpeter 1/16 Tiger. That’s an impressive kit!

I always enjoy seeing your large scale builds as a lack of display space has kept me away from 1/16 scale. Hopefully, ATAK or similar provides an aftermarket zimmerit kit soon.

General question about building 1/16 kits like the Tiger.

If a building a 1/35 Tiger takes about a 12 inch by 12 inch square space on the hobby work bench, how much work bench space does building the much bigger 1/16 scale kit take? 24 inch x 24 inches?

Thanks

1 Like