Commercial Trucking 2021 (Jan-Dec)

Well, looks like you’re off to the races, D. Hopefully I’ll have some progress on the Bison to post soon.

Oh, and there’s no “u” in Peterbilt.

Jim

:grin: all fixed, thanks mate. Just my brain on autopilot!

Looking forward to that Bison hitting the bench. It’s a tough looking rig, plus it’s a Chevy :heart_eyes:

Cheers, D

Cracked open the Meng box and took a start picture but left the camera downstairs when I brought the sprues and resin parts up to soak them. For a pickup truck there are a lot of trees, the box is as big as an AMT semi truck box and crammed full to the top. The chassis is one piece and was slide molded, detail on all 6 sides. Grill and rear bumper are slide molded too.

They really engineered this one nicely. Most of the attachment points on the body panels, chrome, etc. are what I’ve heard referred to as “under gate”, they attach not to the side but to an inside point that just needs be sanded down without affecting the exposed surface.

This one is going to be fun. Pictures soon.

1 Like

D.,

No worries, mate. Yes, the Bison is a Chevrolet, and it will have a Detroit Diesel 6V92T under the hood. The plan is for a Plain-Jane work truck. I think I’m going to use the lumber yard decals from the 1941 Chevrolet pickup kit.

Jim

1 Like

Another bench session tonight, Step 2 completed. I fixed the steering in place, no hot screwdriver action tonight!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Hello all,
Well this is my first post in over a year plus in the new format site :woozy_face: .
Saw this GB and thought I’d join in and see if I can get some motivation to get back into scale modelling (haven’t been at the bench in over 12 months).
My potential project will be either a 1923 Zaporozhets (tractor) - the first production Soviet tractor @ 24th scale. A project I made a small start on 18+ months ago but had to put aside due to medical issues.

If I can’t be bothered with all the fiddly bits on the tractor then I’ll start fresh with a Latil H14 TL10 timber tractor (@24th).

Hopefully I can get the pictures to link :crazy_face:

Looking forward to seeing everyones in progress builds.

4 Likes

Those are interesting. Looking forward to your progress.

Jim

I have managed to get some assembly done on my 1976 Chevrolet Bison:

I’m not making it a tractor, but a stake bed. Here is the GW Trucks Detroit Diesel 6V92T (the kit comes with a Detroit Diesel 8V92N)

Mock up of what I’m looking for:

I think the rear suspension need to go a little further back.

Jim

2 Likes

Very interesting project(s).

Cheers Jim.
Always nice to see someone taking the time and effort in wiring and plumbing an engine :+1: .

Well here goes my crude start on the baby tractor:
1st up the starting point:

and the rear wheel:

and this is the drive clutch:

the very basic chassis frame:

the main flywheel:

and here the starts of the radiator and sump system:

and finally for the moment, the engine cylinder (the tall bit) and part of the drive/flywheel mechanism:

Feel free to poke a stick at the build. I’m here to learn and it’s always good to get others views/opinions.

3 Likes

Like the scratch building there bud.

Hope to start my deicing rig shortly

Pete

Great to see the builds all firing up here already!

Roger, welcome aboard. Really neat work on the scratchbuilding so far, very interesting subject matter and I’m looking forward to more progress reports.

Steps 1 and 2 completed. I haven’t attached the three tanks from Step 1 yet, I’m thinking I might paint them silver and attach them after the chassis is painted up. Also made a start on the sub assemblies for Step 3, the rear air suspension bellows.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

This group build is off to a quick start! Nice to see such variety too. I’ll catch up eventually, but for now will need to stay in the observer role - too much other stuff on the bench - looking forward to everyone’s updates!

Cheers
Nick

Construction is my favourite part of the build, I just love watching it taking shape.

Step 3 completed and started sub assemblies for Step 4.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Now here’s an Aussie Road Train . . . Train. :thinking: :rofl:

2 Likes

Well, you don’t see that every day!

Jim

Step 4 completed tonight! I just need to clean up some seams and rough spots and the chassis will be ready for primer.

Cheers, D

This will be my entry to the GB:-

No CAT decals so I will have to search or print.
:v:

3 Likes

The requisite start photo from Jan 1, 2021.

There are quite a few sprues for a pickup truck here.

The best (hood) bonnet tilt mechanism I’ve ever seen.

Mockup of the bed.

One piece chassis looks damn good before even cleaning it up. Will need to drill out and square up the receiver (2" for a class IV or 2.5" for a class V).

2 Likes

I’ve got that one in the stash, love to see how it turns out. :wave: