Commercial Trucking 2021 (Jan-Dec)

Sorry I’ve been lacking on the pictures and updates, been working on it slowly. Got the axles mostly assembled, basic engine short block, trans, t-case, seats glued together but not 100% cleaned up.

Body, bed and underside of the interior were primed in MSP 1500 Grey yesterday, and will get a sand and evaluation to see if it needs more. Waiting for the body paints to arrive still.

One other first for me in a car model, it has a full headliner piece detailed with sunvisors, the little overhead lights, etc. I’ll try to remember to take a picture of it when I take more shots.

2 Likes

Well, I have yet to get started on the project. Been laid out with covid, and have been in a mental fog.

I’m hoping to start next week though.

Note to self. Check the height of the body on the Tamiya stand before you put the anti dust shield tote over the body so that it doesn’t hit the top. Body shell is in the stripper now. Arrgggh!

Going on the road next week so re-priming will have to wait until next weekend.

@2CAVTrooper, Jeff, health comes first mate, we have 12 months to work on this one. Get yourself well!

@Dixon66, ummmmmmm, what can I say. Ooops! Can’t even blame the cat for that one. Looking forward to the repaint update.

Cheers, D

Some more construction work on my Aussie Western Star.

First up I gave the fuel tank parts an overnight dip in a ziplock bag full of Mr Muscle oven cleaner, followed by a warm soapy bath, a rinse and a brush down with 98% IPA.

Then the tanks were assembled.The tanks will be chassis colour with the straps picked out in chrome. Not sure if it will be paint or BMF just yet.

Next up I jumped forward to the start of the interior. I fitted the inner door cards and assembled the seats.

The seat mounts don’t quite line up on the main supports (see yellow circled areas) so I will be reinforcing and tidying up there with a bit of thin card stock.

I also put the radiator halves together, and managed a beautiful thumbprint in the most conspicuous spot possible. I might call it a deliberate security measure in case somebody steals it from a show display :thinking: :grin:

I hope everybody is safe and well, looking forward to more progress reports.

Cheers, D

3 Likes

Interesting this is. First time checking it out.
I built trucks long ago and the last time was around 1996.
Maybe one day I will build another.
I’ll follow this campaign.

1 Like

Guy’s watching along with this and if I don’t over stretch myself with builds (normally do) I will enter with this;

It will tie in nicely with my ‘Hearts of the Beast’ build. :slight_smile:
One thing though, I need to buy one first.

3 Likes

A minor obstacle, see to it that you get this dealt with immediately, if not sooner!

Cheers, D

Progress on the Aussie Western Star, the fuel tanks are now cleaned up and ready for primer.

I have started on some more sub assemblies as well. The air cleaners are dry-fitted to the cabin sides while the cement cures to keep the hoses lined up properly. They will come off again for painting and detailing.

Cheers, D

2 Likes

I thought I should make a start on the 48-foot Reefer to go with the Western Star, since they will be getting matching paint jobs it makes sense to progress them together.

I got through steps 1-4 tonight, the fit is generally good, a bit of tweaking here and there and a couple of sink marks to deal with, but I’m happy with what’s there so far!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

A little more work on sub assemblies for the Reefer, and I managed a first shot of primer on the chassis of the Western Star today as well!

I hope everybody is staying safe and well!

Cheers, D

2 Likes

Some progress on the Reefer, it’s been so many years since I built a truck, I forgot just how big these things are! That is a 400mm (16") ruler on the box pieces!

I forgot to get some pictures of the Reefer bogie and sub assemblies in primer, but they got shot with grey MS1500 the same as the truck chassis. Last night they got some colour!

And when you’re on a roll, just keep rolling! I decided to shoot the Western Star chassis as well.

And the two together.

I’m really enjoying this build, it’s taking a little bit of clean-up of the parts to remove some mould lines and get a neat fit, but overall no real issues. The main thing for me is that it is bringing back some very strong memories of winters with my dad back in the 70’s building these when we couldn’t get out fishing.

Cheers, D

4 Likes

Looks great so far D.

I really need to get back in the model workshop. Been working in the other side of the basement on knife building for the last month or so.

1 Like

That Insignia Red is a good colour for the chassis. It will look good behind the ancillaries.

cheers
Michael

Dave, Michael, many thanks for the feedback! I’m really happy with the Insignia Red, it’s exactly what I was looking for on the chassis assemblies.

The tanks got a shot of primer and a workover to clean up the ghost seams, then a wet sand and another light primer coat.

Here’s where the whole project is at right now. The cutting mat is 60cm long and the Reefer overhangs both sides. End-to-end it is 63.5cm (25 inches), and I almost needed an extra pair of hands to keep it lined up while the cement cured. After doing some research, I found a good match for the tan engine colour in Tamiya Acrylic Desert Yellow (XF-59). The block assembly will get a shot of gloss before I start adding the extras, then a good dose of AK Engine Oil wash. I dropped the 2 Corvettes on for effect, I’m still shaking my head at the size of this rig!

Cheers, D

5 Likes

Started work on my Cat for this GB

Not going to use the Blade and at the moment researching a pipe line boom which I will scratch build.
:v:

3 Likes

Great to see this one under way Richard, sounds like an interesting modification as well. Are you thinking of the side-mount boom?

Looking forward to more progress reports coming through.

Cheers, D

1 Like

Hi D
That’s the set up I am planning.
Found a dimensioned boom on a web site and lots of general photos of the rigging.
Probably will build the counter weight and winches scaling photos.

I thought it was time to join this campaign.
I am in with a Bedford MK4. While primarily a military vehicle, this one be a repurpose ex BA truck.
Mainly resin, with some white metal pieces and a sheet of etch.

First up, the parts need a bath, then I will start building.

cheers
Michael

5 Likes

Some sub assembly’s read for primer.

These parts were all chrome, now stripped!

3 Likes