Convoy!

Finished: MiniArt 35133 GAZ-AAA

This model was painted with Badger black primer, Vallejo acrylics, and Winsor & Newton raw umber oil paint. With the exception of a light oil paint wash, all effects painting was done with acrylics. Paint chipping was done using the salt technique. All mottling was done by airburshing small quantities of a couple dozen colors.

This is my first truck in 1/35 scale, my first model by MiniArt, and my second use of the salt technique. There were problems. Salt proved very difficult to remove. Three rounds of raw umber oil paint were probably not enough. The forced shadow effect is very subtle. I could not figure out how to install the brake lines and spare tires. The windshield wiper disappeared and was replaced with a smallish piece of half round rod stock. Almost all brass parts were left off. Both front tires tilt inward at the top. The left rear tire floats about 0.5mm off the ground. Micro Crystal Clear left ugly residue wherever it was used. This last problem was the worst by far.

Even with all the problems, much learning occurred. In terms of going where I ultimately want to go, this is probably the closest model yet. It has a lot of character without engaging full on goblin mode.

Thank you for the campaign! It was a lot of fun. Two hours to spare. Made it in plenty of time.

Happy Easter!

9 Likes