Convoy!

Looks good to me! Everyone OK with finishing at the weekend?

4 Likes

Ok for me, thank you for the additionnal time.

2 Likes

I am good for time. The extension allowed me to clear three earlier projects from the factory floor. That was really helpful so thank you for providing the opportunity to reorganize the shop and improve work flow.

1 Like

Hello all, last pics of my built, just complete.

There were only 2 trucks built like this. Used by the disbanded czech SOG in Afghanistan. They are designed by numbers 1 and 2.
The truck with the hand writing text “tatra nezná talibratra” on one of the front armor panels of the cab is the number 1.

The number is present on shields and front bumper.

I used numbers from the Kubelwagen Dragon decal sheet instead of MMK MODELS ones because they are smaller.

Missing armor panels added on the top of the doors and the rear of the cab.

The truck number 2 is fitted with PKT.
But the truck number 1 is fitted with MK48 machine guns. There are not any MK48 provided in the kit.

They were built with Live Resin MK48+EOTECH Legend Productions+ scratchbuilt stock like the M249 type.
Scratchbuilt ammo can holder and swing mount.

Missing ladder on right side was added.

Ladder on the left side was bad molded, it was rebuilt with 0,25 mm styrene sheet.

Missing rear lights were added on both sides.

Masking tape is used to simulate adhesive tape applied on the real truck.

Removed mesh section on the old winch compartment like on the real truck.

Various accessories used:
Blast Models, Blackdog, MMK, AFV CLUB.

The cargo bed:

The 2 shields were too thin because provided in PE material.

They were thickened with 0.25 mm styrene sheets

And all the PE sloping bars of the 2 rear weapon mounts were replaced with 0,5 mm styrene sheets

Missing roll bar between sloping armor panels was added.

Missing mudflap added on fenders on both sides. Fenders were a real pain to put straight.

I call it done !

12 Likes

Now that’s cool … Great final finish and love the gear you packed into it …:+1:

2 Likes

A fine truck it is too! But it looks like the drivers need bullet-proof teeth… :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you ! :slightly_smiling_face:*

Thank you.
The wheels of the kit were not accurate. Wrong diameter, too little.

I have used the wheels from Eureka XXL initially designed for the Rosomak (IBG Model).
A lot of work was needed to update them, but I really like how they turn now on the truck.

2 Likes

My intended Land Rover build never made it out of the box. Nor has anything else. I could use the Landy for the LUV group build but ATM I just haven’t the heart to start…

Sorry,

M

Sorry to hear that. I too have a stack of builds that failed to get off the ground, but there’s always another campaign around the corner! (There will be a second Convoy as soon as the dust settles on this one…)

8 Likes

Great to hear Convoy 2 will be coming up. Life has gotten in the way of a lot of things for me in the last few months, modelling included. I will be up for actually starting the next one.

6 Likes

Unfortunately my intended builds after taking off, getting to halfway point, stalled and crashed into real life.
Sadly what happened in real life had a big impact on me, my modeling mojo.
So, glad to hear a Convoy 2 will be up.

4 Likes

I tried to be too clever and messed up big time, I’m rightly p’ed off with myself. The idea was to build the Landy OOB for “Convoy” and then use that as the basis for a build for the “All Things Apocalyptic and Adorable”. Now I have nothing for either despite being an avowed Post-Apoc aficionado…

Regards,

M

Finished: MiniArt 35133 GAZ-AAA

This model was painted with Badger black primer, Vallejo acrylics, and Winsor & Newton raw umber oil paint. With the exception of a light oil paint wash, all effects painting was done with acrylics. Paint chipping was done using the salt technique. All mottling was done by airburshing small quantities of a couple dozen colors.

This is my first truck in 1/35 scale, my first model by MiniArt, and my second use of the salt technique. There were problems. Salt proved very difficult to remove. Three rounds of raw umber oil paint were probably not enough. The forced shadow effect is very subtle. I could not figure out how to install the brake lines and spare tires. The windshield wiper disappeared and was replaced with a smallish piece of half round rod stock. Almost all brass parts were left off. Both front tires tilt inward at the top. The left rear tire floats about 0.5mm off the ground. Micro Crystal Clear left ugly residue wherever it was used. This last problem was the worst by far.

Even with all the problems, much learning occurred. In terms of going where I ultimately want to go, this is probably the closest model yet. It has a lot of character without engaging full on goblin mode.

Thank you for the campaign! It was a lot of fun. Two hours to spare. Made it in plenty of time.

Happy Easter!

9 Likes

For your first one it came out quite well. The truck looks very abused.

MiniArt kits can prove a little frustrating at times. I built two of their Pz.Kpfw III’s and am not looking forward to the third and final one even knowing what to look for now. But aside from that their kits will look good when finished minus whatever was lost to the carpet monster.

Which could end up being quite a few bits. If you do any more trucks consider trying an ICM and a Zvezda kit and see which of the three companies you like better. I found Zvezda to be a bit easier to build than MiniArt; less fiddly bits and stronger plastic. ICM somewhere in-between.

2 Likes

That’s a fine-looking truck! Not sure if it’s a sign, but Convoy was on the box last night! Tomorrow I’ll tally the handles of everyone the Bears didn’t catch, and post it here for confirmation before sending it to Jim.

3 Likes

Congrats for your completed model !

2 Likes

Congrats to everybody who participated here, it’s been a wonderful Group Build to follow with some really cool builds.

Looking forward to Convoy II now, already have a couple of kit options in mind.

Cheers, D

4 Likes

@brekinapez Thank you! MiniArt definitely produces detailed models with delicate details. I enjoyed the challenge and look forward to building more MiniArt models from my stockpile. My second truck is an ICM Studebaker US6, currently building for the WInter Wonderland campaign. It was a significantly easier build. For some even easier projects, I plan on purchasing trucks from Airfix and Tamiya,

@barkingdigger My grandmother enjoyed talking to truckers on her CB set. This project brought back a lot of memories.

@Terminator Thank you! Congratulations to you as well! After seeing your completed model, I spend about two hours seeking information on the prototype. It is a very interesting vehicle and you obviously put in a great deal of effort getting things right. It is really well done. I love the rampant lion markings.

@MoramarthT During the last quarter of last year, I crashed and burned on 5 campaigns in a row. It felt like nothing could go right.

There will be more campaigns and more opportunities. Chin up and back at it. I mean that in the very most kind and sincere way. I am very fond of a quote often attributed to Winston Churchill: “Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” Just be careful not to over extend yourself.

I am also looking forward to Convoy II. Next time, there will be a rubber ducky…

4 Likes

Well, I happened to get a kit of a tanker trailer recently with a livery that also happens to be my first name and I am looking for a truck to pull it so once I find one I’m in for a second round.