Cormake 1/35 Chalet

I was gifted this one at a club meeting, anyone have any experience with this product?

TIA

4 Likes

I don’t have any knowledge of this kit. What material is it made from?

2 Likes

It appears to be a bass/balsa wood type material.

3 Likes

ok, that’s why I was asking. I have a laser cut cardboard kit of a life guard station I’m building. First time with that material. I’m using “canopy glue” so-far but common wood glue or PVA could possibly work

3 Likes

HI Ryan, I haven’t built that kit - but the material looks like the same used for scale model rr bldgs, which I have a good amount of experience with.

With some patience you can get really nice results - decrepit, or pretty clean.

When using thin plywood/material like that I’ve added/glued small 1/8" square basswood sticks (maybe 1/4" for this scale) as interior framing to keep the structure rigid (around the top, bottom, side edges, and down the middle). Using this framing also helps with gluing edges of walls etc together.

For the buildings I made (usually pretty decrepit), I stained rather than painted them - scraping artists pastels onto the surface and then rubbing in with isopropyl alcohol. There are lots of ways to do this - but, as a good reference, you might want to look at this website:

https://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/university.html

I think the trick to getting it right is in some ways like air brushing acrylics - adding several layers of lightly applied color, rather than fewer heavy coats - with a light touch the material still looks like wood - and there are lots of tricks for weathering. I also keep a variety of small brushes handy when doing this - stiff artists brushes, wire brushes and toothbrushes which are all pretty helpful when you are trying to get the surface of the stained woods to look right.

I use Elmers carpenters wood glue for big sheets and when attaching basswood backing, and for small parts, believe it or not, medium CA. The CA works really well on basswood connections too.

OK, looking forward to seeing what you do with this! I really like weathering wood materials, and if you get into this there are lots of techniques you can try to get a particular look.

Cheers
Nick

4 Likes

Is that the Monroe Perdu Studios kit?

2 Likes

Thanks Nick, I will give that a try.

2 Likes

Indeed it is

2 Likes

Nice gift Ryan , listen to Obi Nick Kenobi !!!

2 Likes

I have always liked the look of that kit.

2 Likes

I plan too. Thinking about how I can add in a certain barrel in the cellar and how that will all work. :thinking:

2 Likes

Barrel or two …

2 Likes

I don’t know if the house can support two but yes I have two great looking barrels to use.

2 Likes

They wouldn’t happen to have been manufactured by a crazy old fool ? … would they ?

2 Likes

Yes they would be but at at least nice crazy old fool who shared. Your latest stone work is amazing and giving me too many ideas.

2 Likes

If you’re interested into getting into plaster casting , try Hirstarts molds and dioramadebris molds .
https://hirstarts.com/molds/molds.html

2 Likes

Thanks. Pretty sure I have seen the Diorama Debris website before. I do have some brick molds and one even looks very similar to theirs. I will have to look around for those.

2 Likes