Correcting Tamiya Panther Ausf A info needed!

This is a model representing a rare prototype of Panther (some call these “paper panzers”) that has been evaluated after shoortcomings were revealed by usage of Panther D, most notably during Kursk battle.
This Panther A should have been a bit longer, with different angles and dimensions from its predecessor. It is unknown whether a prototype had ever been made using these plans. Its paper drawings, as i presume, were destroyed/burned during Allied bombing raids, so Germans were in need to speed up production of Panthers, so “A” ‚as we know it today, are made up by simple upgrades of existing “D”.
Some may believe that documentation for this tank was sent to Japan (which later bought one Tiger and one Panther, but never have been able to transport it to Japan), and those documents were found in Japanese archives.It might be speculated that the person that found these documents was a distant cousin of Hasegawa owner, stripped from inheriting company’s share from the will, and hence offered these drawings to competitive company -Tamiya. At that time, origami and various forms of paper art was favored by Japanese, and it was believed that paper panzers might go well on the modellers market…

Or, they had wrong calculation when scaling down the tank, and missed some angles.

If you want something cheap that resembles Panther, go with Italeri, but use the wheels from this Tamiya.
Almost all Panther A had zimmerit, so you should use this one for practicing.

PS: i used a lot of immagination to write this, it is not historically accurate!

@iguanac Marko you win the thread!

LOL :laughing::rofl::joy::joy_cat: I had to change shirts this morning after spilling my coffee :coffee: I laughed so hard see those comments:) Thank you, you’ve made my morning:)

I’d rather build the 1968 Tamiya kit over 1994 Italeri between those two turds. At least the Tamiya fits together and the turret doesn’t sit so high.

@RonW Ron, I’m in too…we just need a fearless leader. I find the older kits more fun than the newer it seems.

As for Panther spares, I might be able to round up a few things like a set of newer Tamiya Rubber band tracks to help etc

@Panzer_modeler Ezra, indeed the contents in the Lindy T-55 look to have been scooped out of a big cat’s litter pan. Sounds like an honorary :bowling: Alley-Cat’s :bowling: style kit for these purposes. If you’re up for a Lindy T-55 group build, I’ll order another 2oz bottle of super glue for filler and join. @Topsmith is right the very name Lindberg makes me cringe regarding models.

1 Like

@Armor_Buff I did one not too long ago; the Antique Antics 2020, which made the transition to the new place here as well.

1 Like

If you want to know how good/bad these old Tamiya kits are, try one of the early Alan kits, especially some of the Russian stuff. I built their old Flakpanzer Gepard (on 38T chassis). I’ve never given up on a kit without completing it, but that one ran me pretty close!

1 Like

Alan and some other obscure east European :poop: -brands …
:nauseated_face: :angry:

1 Like

Like the AER GAZ-67 I am building now??

1 Like

AER is one of them … only game in town for some subjects in the old days …

I did it my way.

When I had figured out that the Tamiya Panther was a lost cause I decided to have some fun with it instead :grin:

7 Likes

Now THAT’S artistic license! :beer:

2 Likes

I have some other awful kits turned into fun projects.
An old Italeri Elefant may join this group as well.
Someday I’ll post photos of the whole group

People think it’s weird when I say you can have a pink tank but that looks fine to me.

Hi Miss, I am here to see the Doc. Is he free now?

1 Like

Which then raises the question why you do have 2 shades of pink in your arsenal?
Along with Playboy-bunny-decals??

1 Like

Don’t ask questions you really don’t want to know the answer too.

1 Like

Ah, but I have an inquisitive nature… and an in certain areas “differently” wired mind. Some call that too much imagination.

So it is not only the missing wheels and the turret dimensions, but pretty much the entire vehicle that is wrong??
Not going anywhere near it. Nope. Not even for $13.

The bunny comes from Tamiyas M113,
one of the pinks is simply a mix of white and red,
the other was bought for the day-glo on a Puma helicopter.

Yes, the entire kit is wrong. It was introduced as a motorized model. The hull is completely wrong because it was designed around 2 “C” batteries and a gearbox, not the tank’s dimensions. The rest of the kit was scaled off of this, which throws off everything.

If I remember correctly I think the turret is wrong too, something about the rear end of it …

I get that. I must know too many degenerates to ask that kind of question. :rofl:

Well, in defence of Lindberg, I was blown away by their 1:72 aircraft range when I first encountered them (in my village grocer’s of all places) - Me 163, FW 190, He 162, and some others I can’t now remember; this must have been back in around 1964, or possibly 65? I thought the box-art was pretty cool too. At the time I’d never even heard of the Me 163 and the Heinkel. And there I was, my 10 year-old nose pressed up against the shop window, with longing - they were just too expensive!

1 Like