Correcting Tamiya Panther Ausf A info needed!

Ahh! The 1960’s! When big cube 427’s ruled the world, Cold War Space Race, Sexual Revolution, cheap leaded gas :fuelpump: and these were healthy according to some doctors!

camel-no-filter-regular-cig

I was born ten years too late…fond childhood memories of the 1960’s. AMT and Lindberg seemed to rock in my pre-Tamiya world :earth_americas:.

I feel we owe it to our self’s, to confront this daemon from our childhood(s), with a Group Build.
Everybody would share the problems and how they fixed them, so everybody else could copy if they wanted. Maybe few 3D printed parts. Who knows?
Worst case your out $13-15. Hobby Lobby $25 but there’s 40% off coupons

This would be Epic! Kind of like GoT with the debauchery…
I just used “debauchery”. How cool is that?
:sunglasses:

Who’s in for this wild ride?

1 Like

@Neo TJ,

I’m foolish enough to tackle the old 1968 Tamiya Panther A. If other are willing, probably have to be next month…

Factoring in its advanced age, classic old guard status, I find the old Tamiya Panther A less dreadfully terrible to build Italeri’s 1994 attempt at the Panther A with its plethora of avoidable fit issues :slight_smile:

@Neo @Armor_Buff I might be tempted to join in as well…

1 Like

And so it begins…

I could not start till after Thanksgiving (Nov. 25th for our metric friends), too many commitments right now.
Maybe 1st of the year for the official kick-off?
But if somebody was bored and want to start this month, I’m fine with that too.

As a Group Build Vs. a Campaign I’m thinking a very open event / process.
Keeping it light and fun forward…

2 Likes

Yep im in!
Lindberg T-55 ordered. :wink:

What we need is a group build of the most inaccurate kits you can find. Correcting them is allowed but frowned on. Maybe a build member gets to select your build kit and you select theirs so as not to fudge on the quality of the kit. Maybe create a list of the 20 worst and you have to choose from the list of deplorables.

The Alan SU-76 kit is #1 for most unbuildable of all time. No doubt about it.

1 Like

Group Build - “The Terrible Top Twenty Deplorables”

Here are a some kits that are likely worthy to include in the “The Terrible Top Twenty Deplorables”…what are some others?

#1. Tamiya Panther A
#2. Lindberg T-55
#3. Alan SU-76M - (my all time worst)
#4. Italeri Panther A
#5. Cyber-Hobby T-34/76 STZ Mod. 1942
#6. ESCI T-72
#7. Dragon/DML SCUD B
#8. ESCI Demag 7
#9. GLENCOE 1/32 BTR-50
#10. Tauro A7V
#11. Maquette ASU-57
#12. NITTO Sd.Kfz.251
#13. Heller AMX-30 and AMX-13
#14. Bronco Hotchkiss H38/39
#15. SKIF BTR-152
#16. Nichimo/Revell Sdkfz 251 Stuka
#17. Blue Tank Alligator LVT[A]5
#18. Alan Wespe
#19. Tamiya M42 Duster
#20. Dragon/DML Nashorn kit #6001

2 Likes

The Alan SU-76 kit is #1 for most unbuildable of all time.

Why do you say that? Fit? Detail? Decals? Inaccurate?

1 Like

YES Ezra all of that plus poor instructions. Worst kit I’ve ever attempted. Completed it.

It makes a Lindberg T-55 look like gold.

Ahhh… that bad eh?
Where can I find one!

None of the undetailed inaccurate parts fit together.

2 Likes

For anyone braver then me. :grin:
I just read a build log of this kit and decided I wouldn’t touch this thing for any reason!

Dear Lord, have mercy… what have I done???

1 Like

I don’t see Tamiya T62 nor AER T-18, but i guess they can qualify?

I’ve got to stick up for Heller here; I agree that their plastic is brittle (to the point where my AMX 30’s suspension is braced with brass rod) but with a little TLC their AMX 30 and 13 series aren’t that bad; they may well have been eclipsed by newer kits but in some cases were ahead of their time with transparent cupolas and headlights even. For years their AMX 30 was the only game in town:

An interesting list though - and helpful; I was unaware of any problems with the Dragon Scud which is a bit alarming as I have one(!)

I am told she is very nasty and made the list of worst kits The Worst Model Kit You Ever Built? - #106 by Gary_Kato

I’ve just realized I’ve been defending both Lindberg and Heller; what is wrong with me??!!

2 Likes

“The Terrible Top Twenty Deplorables”… revision.

Removed - Heller AMX-30 and AMX-13, the kits were eloquently defended by eye witness @BootsDMS in the forum’s court of opinion and styrene justice…wink

Added Military Wheel UAZ-469 with 106mm Gun charged and collaborated multiple sources.

#1. Tamiya Panther A
#2. Lindberg T-55
#3. Alan SU-76M - (my all time worst)
#4. Italeri Panther A
#5. Cyber-Hobby T-34/76 STZ Mod. 1942
#6. ESCI T-72
#7. Dragon/DML SCUD B
#8. ESCI Demag 7
#9. GLENCOE 1/32 BTR-50
#10. Tauro A7V
#11. Maquette ASU-57
#12. NITTO Sd.Kfz.251
#13. Military Wheel UAZ-469
#14. Bronco Hotchkiss H38/39
#15. SKIF BTR-152
#16. Nichimo/Revell Sdkfz 251 Stuka
#17. Blue Tank Alligator LVT[A]5
#18. Alan Wespe
#19. Tamiya M42 Duster
#20. Dragon/DML Nashorn kit #6001

There have to be some other turds to join the Chit$how of Deplorables and some fairly innocent kits to free from the list :slight_smile:

Do any of these possible pigs :pig2: these merit additional?

AER’s T-18 Komsololyets
Cooperativa T-38
Alan ZIS-5 truck
Dragon/DML BTR-80
Zvezda Komsomlets Tractor
AER Komsomoletz
ICM Ural 4370 Truck
Tamiya T-62A

1 Like