Curious - How do you paint your builds?

I feel your pain…

How do you paint your builds?

Badly. The only advice I can give is that neither acrylics nor enamels adhere well over wax crayon…
:face_with_spiral_eyes:
Cheers,

M

3 Likes

I don’t do this with tools, necessarily, but when I have parts I want to add later (due to painting issues, etc), I will use a little dab of latex rubber, using Woodland Scenics Latex Rubber Mold Maker. It acts like a frisket, you get enough to last years in one bottle, & is not terribly expensive. You do have to be sure to make the dab smaller than the glue area of the part. This is one reason why I leave tools on for painting…too hard to “hide” that glue join…

Damon/

1 Like

As some others have said, I keep it as simple as possible. If the 1:1 original was likely painted in one pass, and provided the construction/sub-assemblies allow it, that’s what I do. I mix my own paints & make sure I’ve got enough left over for touch-ups or sub-assemblies that may have had to wait. And a bit more for what Mike F. said, the unpainted bits only photography reveals.

But I’m a heretic, no airbrushing - it’s all a variety of soft brushes to get into all the nooks & crannies.

I do pre-muddy bogies before fixing & also the tracks and under-mudguards before the upper hull goes on.

Weathering’s different because the crud on the bogies/lower hull typically only gets splashed up on edges of the upper hull/mudguards etc. Stains & other imperfections on the upper hull & turret are another story. Then that can lead to a discrepancy between upper & lower, so that’s when the finely ground dry pastel chalk comes out in various dirty shades, to unify the overall effect…

3 Likes

Having never done this before I’m going to take my builds outdoors and snap photo s. I’m building an A-10 right now and did that on a whim. Daylight showed me things I completely overlook indoors with my normal lamps on. Went in, touched up and looked again outside.

Btw my sequences seems like they change from kit to kit. I have a tendency to build several then paint…and build some more so I end up with stuff in all sorts of various stages or I’ve skipped ahead and clear coated everything before I was really at that point on kit “a”. So I end up backtracking…

One of these days I’ll get my steps sorted out but I have a tendency to build, prime, main color, detail painting and clean up, clear coat, decals, oils and final clear coat.

3 Likes